17 Week Rhode Island Red Cockerel (Will drop off in Santa Cruz C.)

Junediamond

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2015
I have a 17 week , organically fed, hand raised, healthy, Rhode Island Red cockerel.

He is not skittish, tolerates being picked up, friendly, outgoing, and won't run from you. I can not have roosters, and he turned out to be one. Very glossy feathers, and very handsome.

He is free to a good home. DO NOT eat him.

Email: goldenturtle.0629

Last edited:
I'll be interested when he is closer to 20 weeks. I think my top four hens (Dominique, RIR, Barred Rock, BO) would give him too much of a beat down right now. Is he human aggressive? Has he been in a flock with older hens before? How is he with hens?

If you do need to get rid of him in a hurry, Half Moon Bay Feed and Fuel takes in roosters. I have heard some feed stores in Santa Cruz do as well, but I don't know any specifics.

Here is my ad on this site:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1065945/sf-bay-area-wanted-young-rooster-for-free-range

Hi,

Here is some information on him:

. He is generally friendly, but isn't very affectionate.
. He is is not very aggressive, but dislikes being shooed away with a boot (he pecks it, but is submissive.) He just gets annoyed at it.
. He tolerates being picked up, since a have handled him since day 1.
. He has not been in a flock of older hens, but he is pretty strong willed, and can handle at least a little bit of bullying (actually, I think it would be good to have him be shown that he is not too cool for school
big_smile.png
.)

Thank you.

If you want him, would it be possible to reserve a spot in your flock for him, then get him when you would like? If you would want to that, then please tell me any preparation he needs for going into your flock.

Thank you.

Hello,
I am interested in your boy if the other chicken rancher is not interested, but feel you should know the situation….
It sounds like you have a backyard flock in a suburban or near suburban situation and ended up with a rooster. Very sad. It has happened to me.
But I digress. In addition to the bachelor girls in Menlo Park I have a flock on a ranch in Lodi that has a beautiful coop (built by my husband, son and I). There is a small permeable fence (to chickens that is) after which the chickens are free to roam. It is a pretty idyllic world but there has been a steady loss of life, probably largely due to a ranch dog that will not of course even approach the run when I am around but who has been noted carrying away a previous chicken. We lost our rooster sometime last week. Anyway, I do have some lonely hens (or relieved perhaps, who knows) but I cannot guarantee a long life for your boy if he comes to us. Still, our rooster lasted over 2 years and was a happy boy.
I could pick him up next week if you think it a match. You can see the ranch at sargentequest.com. The coop overlooks the outdoor arena.
Thanks
Margot

Feel free. I am starting to think that this seller on CL is not serious. But I do have a lot of options available.

BTW nice place you have there. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom