17 Weeks Old and Counting- First Time Chicken Owner

flirty31

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Hi everyone,

I have 3 pullets: Americauna, Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock. They were hatched around September 7, 2012 and are now approximately 17 weeks old. It is frigid here in the Pacific Northwest right now, and the daylight is still hard to come by.

My question is: how soon do you think my babies might start laying eggs?

Thanks for any/all input!

They are still too young and the daylength is short; however, daylength is now increasing and they are maturing. Once we get to 12 or 13 hours of daylight you should start getting eggs.

Thanks for the info! :)

We haven't yet put out nesting boxes and I want to make sure we do it by the time they might be laying :)

Hi flirty 31, I got my chicks a few days before yours, and we have the same breeds, except for the Ameracauna. I noticed my "babies" , I still call them babies, are starting to get a lot of color in their faces, waddles, etc. I've read that they will start to turn a bright red just before they start laying. I figured mine will start some time in March, If it's sooner, that'd be great, but i'm not expecting anything sooner. They have really gotten to be bratty the last week or so. I call them teenagers with attitudes! LOL

Yes, she is sassy, that's exactly how I describe her and she's not as friendly as my barred and partridge rocks, and she's getting sooooo gorgeous I just want to pet her. She does greet me but runs when I get too near her. She was sort of like that as a baby too--i'm hoping i can get her to change some. LOL My one barred rock is the most friendly and will jump on my arm or leg if I pat it. She just lets me pet her and pet her.... They are certainly entertaining aren't they?

Back
Top Bottom