1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

17 weeks old, swicth feed to layer?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rsarns, Aug 15, 2011.

1. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    My chicks are 17 weeks old (14 or them) and the others in the coop are 3 weeks younger. They are all about the same size except a 10 week old Wheaten Marans cockerel I added. The other Cockerel is 17 weeks old. My question is in preperation for the hens to start laying I switched their food from chick grow to layer feed. WIll this be ok for the cockerels also, as the one is 10-11 weeks old right now. I also give them plenty of grass, weeds and treats daily. The older hens are RIR, White Leghorns (at least thats what I have been told, they were supposed to be RI whites), speckled Sussex, cuckoo Marans and BSL and Langshans. The older cockerel is a cuckoo Marans that is huge and very loud!

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    There is some evidence that the extra calcium in layer is not good for a roo or cockerel. But people have been feeding their roos layer food for years and don't see ill effects. The 10-11 week old though, I'm not so sure about feeding that to him. I don't know how old they have to be for the extra calcium to no longer pose a problem to chicks in general.

3. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    I put oyster shell in a seperate container ( a dual container, grit on one side and Oyster shell on the other), the younger birds ( 13 wks) don't bother with it and continue to feed start and grow to all until younger ones are old enough (probably another 4 wks). the older ones are 18 wks.
    My problem is the older ones are picking on the younger one constantly.

4. Silverose

Silverose Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2011
    Middle Tenn
    I switched to grower/finisher and put out oyster shell, mine are about 20 weeks I believe, only 3 are laying. once I run out of this bag of feed I'll probably switch to layer, but this was bought only a couple days before my first egg.

5. urban-chick-mom

urban-chick-mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Gig Harbor, WA
    My girls are 18 weeks today. I have 25 lbs of all purpose food left. Today I stopped at the feed store and bought layer food. They told me to mix it 50/50 into their feeder until the all purpose food is gone. Also, bought oyster shells and have them in a separate container. No eggs yet but hopefully my White Leghorn is getting close. Keep waiting!

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have a mixed flock as well, pullets, roos and 9 week olds...I am still feeding starter/grower (till the little ones reach POL), with oyster shell on the side...good for everyone. I will switch to layer feed or flock raiser when they all reach POL

7. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    On most feed bags it will say at 18 weeks switch 2 layer.

8. rsarns

rsarns Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    I have some of the chick feed left, I think I will mix them for now. Great suggestions from everyone, thanks!

9. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    I put oyster shell in a seperate container ( a dual container, grit on one side and Oyster shell on the other), the younger birds ( 13 wks) don't bother with it and continue to feed start and grow to all until younger ones are old enough (probably another 4 wks). the older ones are 18 wks.

This is the way you do it....

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by