17 wks old and not using roost bars...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kla37, Sep 22, 2010.

1. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    My chickens are 17 weeks old and they are all still sleeping on the floor of their coop! I have 2 roost bars in the coop, one about 18" off the ground and one about 2 1/2' off the ground. They are all large breeds so I used the 2X4 idea. Any suggestions? Will they just start doing it on their own?

2. DomesticGoddess

DomesticGoddess Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    I think they will start on thier own! When mine were younger I had a few that did that too, but thier instinct tells them to be higher off the ground, so I think instinct will kick in eventually.

3. chicken nanny

chicken nanny Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2009
    Have you gone in after they have gone to bed and picked them up and placed a few on the roost? Thats what i did when mi ne was new.... It only took 2 times...If u can get a couple to go there the rest usally go there... Good luck

4. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Thanks, I'll try that tonight. I have gone a checked on them a couple times at night, and I know they are supposed to be comatose sleeping, but they always wake up anyway!

5. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Mine figured it out around 19 weeks. So there's still time for yours!

6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I am having the same issue with one of my young flocks. They are 19 weeks and do not use the roost. I have put them up twice and then on 3 rd night I checked and still on coop floor. They had been using the bar in front of nest boxes, (which are closed). I cover that up. My other flocks all caught on by 12-14 weeks.

7. Adopted Chickenman

Adopted Chickenman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Rogers
    My laying girls (27 weeks) only use the outside roosts during the day. They refuse to go inside the larger coop except to lay their eggs. At night time, they hop up on the smaller coop inside their run and sleep on the roof. I have even tried using a 25 watt light inthe coop at night to coax them but no dice. So today I placed a large roosting pole above the little coop so they can use it vice the coop roof. My smaller chicks (6 at 9 weeks old) use the little coop and the roosting poles as designed at night. Go figure. I guess chickens still have a mind of their own.

8. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Crikey!!! [​IMG] I set about half of them up on their roost last night, and I checked on them a couple hours later and they were all BACK ON THE FLOOR!!! Do they think they are puppies???

9. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

I once worried so much about this - I would go out and place each chicken on the roost, turn around to get another one, and the first one would jump back down, and I would put another one up, and the next one would jump down. What was wrong with my chickens, my roosts, my coop???? Nothing. Eventually they all started roosting up there without any intervention/interference from me. It MIGHT be helpful to have a little ladder or something to help them get up on the roosts while they're young and haven't perfected the winged-leap, especially if the space in front of the roost is limited. (They're not helicopters). But mostly, don't worry. They'll get it.

10. kla37

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Quote:You made me feel much better. [​IMG] I'm just going to ignore it and let them decide if they want to be chickens or bunnies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by