17 year old cat, dandruff and long claws

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lexak, Oct 10, 2013.

1. lexak

lexak New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    Hi everybody :). This is my first time on the site. Looking for any idea or knowledge from experience in dealing with quite old cats, and making the best of their health. She was a very 'independent' (read: borderline vicious if she wanted alone time) cat until her 13th year of life when she calmed down, and realized that people were her friends not just food and ear-rub distributors. That being said, she is very affectionate now but still has her limits.. I am the only person who can touch her anywhere I please but can't really poke and prod her.
    First is the common problem we have with her skin flaking, we have been giving her fish oils and coconut oil as instructed but it doesn't seem to change much. Is there anything else I can give her that will help her skin?
    And the second issue is her rear claws, she can't quite bend far enough to pick at them like cats normally would and unfortunately her trips from the sofa to the window sill to the food dish aren't quite enough to wear them down. This is one of those spots she really doesn't want me playing with but it affects her walking on the kitchen floor (which happens to be her favourite room) and her balance isn't all that great to start with. Is there ANYTHING I can do for my old lady's paws? The claws protrude from the fur and I worry it's very uncomfortable to walk on as well.

As you can see here she is a very happy (and flexible) old lady, but you can see a bit of the flakeyness.
    [​IMG]

2. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    You could trim her nails or take her to the veterinarian's to have them trimmed. Brushing may help with the dander. Being advanced in age she could have some sort of age-related skin issues. Good luck, she's cute and welcome to BYC.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by