17hrs of light needed for optimal egg laying by ducks *NOT*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Eggscoozme, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Eggscoozme

Eggscoozme Songster

Oct 25, 2014
    Michigan
    I'VE READ ON METZER FARMS SITE THAT 17HRS DAYLIGHT FOR OPTIMAL EGG LAYING. ALL MY GIRLS ARE LAYING EVERYDAY WITH 9HRS OF DAYLIGHT, NO ARTIFICIAL LIGHT. WHOAH AND WOW! THEY EGGS HAVE BEEN FERTILE. DON'T KNOW WHEN THEY ARE "FOOLING AROUND" AS I HAVE THEM LOCKED UP MOST DAYS SINCE WE'RE HEADING TOWARDS HEAVY PREDATOR SEASON, AND THEIR KIDDIE POOL IS NOT ACCESSIBLE. GUESS THEY ARE "DOING IT" THOUGH. :)

2. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I was wondering about the light with ducks. I have only one old enough to lay and she has not stopped. I think they have gotten bigger.

Eggscoozme and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  3. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    One of my six months old Indian Runner ducks just started laying - one egg a day - i was completely surprised. No artificial light in the duck-house.

Miss Lydia and Eggscoozme like this.
  4. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois
    What color are runner eggs? My two will be 6 months in mid January and I interested in seeing if they start thrn or in the Spring.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. Runner duck mom

Runner duck mom Songster

Nov 15, 2017
    Georgia
    I'm looking forward to my girls taking a break for the winter (I'm sure they are too) but still getting an egg a day from everyone. Can't wait for the days to get longer again!
    Our fawn & white lays white eggs. Our chocolate and blue runners lay blue eggs.
    20181130_143855.jpg

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. llombardo

llombardo Crowing

Mar 11, 2018
    Illinois

I hear you. All my chickens are still laying too. I got eggs everywhere. I was hoping that the runners would have different colors so I can tell the difference.

7. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    One of my runners had started laying recently and her eggs are greenish. Here are two in comparison to a store-bought white chicken egg:
    20181212_152039.jpg

Runner duck mom and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. aliciaFarmer

aliciaFarmer Songster

May 3, 2018
    Oregon
    You're lucky! We have three just over 6 month old ducks and none have ever laid a single egg, the silly girls.

Cayuga momma likes this.
  9. Eggscoozme

Eggscoozme Songster

Oct 25, 2014
    Michigan
    You want them to take a break, because?
    Can you sell fertile hatching eggs? I'll also bring in a breakfast scramble to work to use up some eggs. They LOVE it! Or can you sell the eggs for eating (especially during these holidays).

10. happy duck

happy duck Crazy duck mom

Mar 24, 2018
    Small town
    My Coop
    All my ducks stopped(I think) laying for this year. They started in August so I don't blame them for waning to stop now! I( in my opinion) won't use a light because 1. it is a fire hazard and 2. because it is good for your ducks to take a break to be ready for the next season and not having to push there bodies till they are all laid out.

Cayuga momma and Runner duck mom like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: