17Week Old Friendly Pullets, just got charged by one......time to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cellsworth, Nov 4, 2013.

1. cellsworth

cellsworth Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    I have 19 Pullets (raised from 1 day old chicks) various breeds, Gold & Silver Laced Wyandottes, RIR, Golden Buffs, Buff Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex, Australorp, Barred Rocks. They are just over 17 weeks right now and I am very impatiently waiting for our first egg :/ Several have very red combs and waddles, they are all very very noisy (which I heard are all signs it's getting closer) this morning I picked up the shy GL Wyandotte to try and get her not so skiddish and when I set her down she came at me 3 times.......this is not like my birds at all, they are spoiled beyond spoiled - they are pets. Could this be a sign that she may be getting close to laying? She does not have a red comb, def not like the other GL Wyandotte. I am a new chicken farmer and am learning as I go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :) Thank you!!!!!

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Hate to say it but are you positive you haven't got a roo hiding amongst the hens?

3. cellsworth

cellsworth Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2013
    She looks just like the other one but her Rose Comb isn't as pronounced and def. not as red, I have several leaders in the coop and she is not one of them - she is not afraid of me just doesn't come as close to be petted and handled. Wouldn't she/he be more of a standout if it was a roo? I am new at this so I am clueless lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by