18 - 20 week old Australorp losing feathers on neck and head? Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by isaacsibley, Feb 18, 2019.

1. isaacsibley

isaacsibley In the Brooder

Jan 22, 2019
    Hello, my Australorp has very recently started losing all her feathers on her neck and has had loss of feathers around her head. I thought it was lice but have checked and can't find any signs. I have dusted all 4 of my hens and their coop but doesn't seem to be fixing anything? Is this something bad or normal, or am I doing something wrong? No signs of feather loss on any of my other hens and they all seem to have no issues. Help, please!
    IMG_0097.JPG IMG_0092.JPG IMG_0098.JPG

Attached Files:

2. FlyingNunFarm

FlyingNunFarm Crossing the Road

May 28, 2015
    Chesterland, OH
    My Coop
    My first thought was lice/mites. You having treated for that I looked closer at the pictures.

The feathers seem to have a sheath on them. It would be odd for a young bird to molt but they do continue to get new feathers. I don’t think it’s out of the question for them to get new feathers in a localized manner. Not the norm but not unheard of either.

Other guess would be someone else is plucking the feathers. With the head and neck feathers being so little it would be near impossible to find them if they fell out naturally.

I’d keep an eye out. For pecking, more feather loss and bugs too.

3. isaacsibley

Jan 22, 2019
    Great thanks very much, I can't find any lice. I'll do a big clean again and then let her be and keep an eye out for pecking. Thanks!

Cragg Klefor and FlyingNunFarm like this.
  4. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Crowing

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    She is gorgeous :love
    I agree it is a molt - just a young one, but I have seen it happening.
    I would just give her an odd little treat of a high protein food such as cooked egg, tuna or greek yogurt. Just to help her little molt along. With her being so young I would just give her a little! And make sure she is getting protein from whatever you feed them (balanced chicken feed). Good luck with your lovelies!

5. isaacsibley

Jan 22, 2019
    Great, she appreciated the compliment ;). I will do exactly that!

Cragg Klefor likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: