18 Bantam mille fleur cochin project eggs

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by Msbear, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    My bator is full! And, Im having awesome fertility now. I don't think I've tossed a one in a couple of weeks. I have bushwacked my cushions and periodically check to assure fertility. I have one roo in with 6 girls and 2 roos in with 2 other girls.

Some snapshots
    [​IMG]
    don't mind that turkey head [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would like to make very clear that these birds represent my attempt at obtaining this variety and I am taking special care to retain cochin type. That said, I don't think I am doing the absolute best job as I enjoy the immediate gratification of seeing the mille fleur pattern and to do this I must cheat a bit and add some birds that may not have the best type but display the pattern.

So, as a result, some birds may hatch with awesome type but won't show much pattern and some birds may hatch with a distinct mille fleur pattern while not having such great type. But, they will all be beautiful, I can guarantee that.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    That pair in the 4th pic looks exactly like mine! LOL [​IMG] Verry pretty birds! all of them.

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Hi Jen, I am very proud of all of them but, those two really get heads a turning. Everyone who comes down my driveway comments on those guys. I don't have them paired together right now but, they are definitely a big part of the program. I have that roo in with the black mottled girl with brassy hackles. She's two generations away from black mo and should throw some color this year.

I also have her in with this guy. This pic was taken a couple of months ago and he may not be fertile yet but, Im hoping to get a good cross with those two. He has no black anywhere and, because she's "overmarked", they may be an excellent match

[​IMG]

He's the one I posted earlier on the MFC thread about his comb not being so hot BUT, her comb is just perfect.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  4. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    OMG, I have a 3 month old pullet that looks exactly like your photo #2. I so hope she grows up to look like your girl! I have got to get a photo of mine so you can see! Cushion, type and color look the same.
    Does that mean we are making real progress when birds are starting to look like one another and not even bred from the same bloodlines?

5. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Well, she's not what we're shooting for but, she's a step in the right direction. The rooster was a buff columbian/mottled cross and the mother hen was an undermarked mfc project bird. Now, that's 2 similar girls we have!

6. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    Quote:She's BEAUTIFUL!
    It's seems wrong that all theses pretty "project" birds are the "wrong" color.
    Personally, I love all the variety!

7. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I like that variety too! I cant wait till some chicks hatch from my gals! I have one roo and 2 very pretty gals I got from Wingshadows and then I have one little gal that is not quite as nice but good enough to work with from a gal here in PA. I just started to get eggs and have one or 2 cooking in the bator...fertility isnt quite there yet but wingshadows told me I have to trim thier feathers on thier butts because they are so fluffy! LOL I plan on doing that tomorrow. They are very young though so I am hopeing it wont take long. I am very excited to see what the chcks turn into. [​IMG]

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I like the hen is the last picture. Shes sooooo pretty! [​IMG]

9. wwmicasa1

wwmicasa1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2008
    Wingshadows Hacienda
    OK, Msbear, tell me about the pair in the 4th pic. They look very familiar~! Between Jenlynn4, you & I, we are getting some MFC that look so similar. We really need to go back 3 yrs. & look at where we started. Gosh, have we come a long way in a short time [​IMG] Your type is looking soooo good. Keep up the good work. [​IMG]

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Quote:Yeah, I cannot take credit for that pair. They are straight from Wingshadows hacienda [​IMG] I called Lynne a bit upset last winter? was it? last spring? and was whining about how I never did hatch any girl that looked like hers and I was ready to bite the bullet and ship some. Lynne, you were so kind and sent some pretty little things right out. What a great day that was!!! I'll never forget the feeling of opening up that box [​IMG] I have that roo in with that black mottled hen and a buff mottled hen ..both with awesome type. That gorgeous hen is in with the roo from Tom and she has such a personality. She's the first one to run up and greet me when I open the door and she would climb right into my hands if I hold them out. She's been in the nesting box ALL DAY [​IMG] She's in love with babies and is the very best broody I've ever had. Last year she raised 3 clutches for me and two of the times was just because another hen went broody and a few days before the hatch, she went too.. So, she just shared the chicks. She's one of those moms that when you pick up the babies to hold, she's trying to fly up into your hands too so she can see what's going on. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by