18 chickens lost today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by janjan1, Jul 28, 2010.

1. janjan1

janjan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Armuchee, GA
    I got an emergency call from my yard man. Stray dog was attacking my chickens. Lost a total of 18. Dog is dead too. My 40 cal dropped him on the first shot. The next two shots were just because I was mad. Didn't make him any deader but made me feel better. Come to find out, it wasn't a stray dog. My neighbor three houses down, is "training bird dogs". Folks bring their animals up here for him to train. He has about 10-12 dogs in pens. One got out. The dog had a collar on it with the owners name, location and phone number. Naturally I called to inform them about the dog. They gave me the trainers name. I went over there, naturally he wasn't home and is not answering his phone. So I left him a nice detailed message. I called the law enforcement, they told me I was in the right. I will call the county animal control in the morning to come get the dog's body for disposal. I still must bury my chickens, so sad, I raised them all and loved them too.
    The 40 cal, I got for christmas from DH. Great guy, no kick back and deadly. Love it.

Jan

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Gosh, so sorry.

Imp

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sorry you lost your birds. [​IMG] Dang Dog

4. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:You go girl!!! But so sorry to hear about your chickens : [ I know how you feel, my girls are my pets also.

Jen

5. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

What's terrible is that someone trusted him to shelter and train their dog for him, and now you are out pet chickens and they are out a pet dog too. Sometimes those dogs have a mind to get away and go exploring, sounds like it wasn't disciplined enough to be a bird dog. [​IMG] *hugs* What a sad event!

6. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I bet that trainer will do a better job of containing the dogs he takes in to train. If he had to reimburse you for your birds, (take a picture for proof) I bet he'll do a MUCH better job of containing the dogs. So sorry for your loss! If your chickens were laying maybe it would be possible to be reimbursed for eggs you wont be getting? Anyone know about that?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  7. bumpershoot

bumpershoot Chillin' With My Peeps

well, if this dude is training bird dogs I'd say that both he and the dog fail.

If this were my dog and I got a call informing me it had gotten loose, killed something and was now dead I would be livid at the "trainer" and he would not be having a good day when I showed up.

8. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    So sorry to hear of your losses we would be very upset even losing one cant imagine!P.S nice shooting

9. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    [​IMG] I am so so sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

10. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I am so sorry. A few months ago 2 dogs came from about 5 miles away and ravaged my pens. They massacred 14 chickens and left some lame.

I do understand your frustration and hurt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by