18 days to go!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alexandherpets, Oct 21, 2013.

1. alexandherpets

alexandherpets Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]Im so excited!!! I have 18 days to go until (not to jinx anything) the chickies hatch!! This is my first time incubating chicks. The suspense is killing me. I have about 30 eggs right now. 12 are Turkens, and the rest are swedish flower hens.
    IM TOTALLY PSYCHED!

Ive seen a lot of chicks before, but never these kind. Does anyone have pictures of their Swedish flower hens or Turkens? I will post pictures of when and if they hatch. All fingers crossed! [​IMG]

2. Kadra

Kadra Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    West Linn, OR
    Good luck!!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Good luck with your hatch! [​IMG]

4. alexandherpets

Mar 7, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks! right now the incuabtor is at 16. I really want to candle the eggs (or at least just one) but I'm worried since ive never done it before. If i take the lid off the incubator for a second just to grab the egg wont the humidity be effected, and cause the eggs to die? I never really got to candle the eggs before i put them in the incubator, i just took someones word for it that they were fertilized. I could see darker spots but im not sure what to really look for such as abnormalities and such. So, its pretty much a gamble. The eggs are turkey eggs, so they are a creamy-pinkish color. They are on the lighter side, so it shouldnt be as hard to see through them as opposed to brown eggs.

Im just worried about lifting the incubator top. Do you think itll be ok to grab one egg to candle, or will it kill the other eggs from the loss of the humidity? OH GOSH IM SO WORRIED[​IMG]

Also, what should i be looking for (if i can candle it) in the egg? I feel like whenever i have candled a egg (when i say whenever, i mean a week ago lol) all i personally see is clearness and then a darker spot on top which im guessing is the yolk. I have trouble trying to see anything else. The first egg i candled was before i put 'em in the incubator, just to see if they were indeed fertile, but again the only thing i could really see was a yolk ontop and nothing special.

Any help? Thanks

5. alexandherpets

Mar 7, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Sorry not turkey eggs, TURKEN eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by