18 degrees in Florida?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by operationindigo, Jan 5, 2014.

1. operationindigo

operationindigo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2013
    I just saw the weather report and tomorrow night it is supposed to get down to 18 degrees. They're saying its the coldest weather in 25 years. Now I grew up in Buffalo, NY and I'm very accustomed to cold winter weather. However I never had chickens in any winter-like weather before. I only have 2 girls. They have a pretty sturdy coop and a small run they go out in. The coop is behind the house which shelters it from any major weather. Is there anything special I can do to protect them and keep them warm? I'd prefer not to buy a heater, seeing as I will probably rarely use it, if ever, again. Is there anything special I should do or will they be okay for a night?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep them dry, draft free, well fed and they should be fine.

3. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am here in Florida and I'm using a heat lamp. U can pick one up for bout $10 at ace, Lowes, home depot. If you don't want to do that, put extra hay in the coop and hope they stay warm. I know where I'm at they are talking about a hard freeze for 6-12 hours. Another thing you can do is bring them inside for the night. Garage, spare bathroom, box, playpen, etc. Just something temporary cause it's only a one night thing, thank god!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by