18 mo. old Hen Wheezing & Coughing 3rd Day In

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IzzyMom, Aug 1, 2013.

1. IzzyMom

IzzyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    New Mexico
    My BO that we've had for 18 mo. now is wheezing, sneezing and coughing. I treated her with Tylan 200 injection 2 days ago, and this evening gave her the 2nd dose by mouth. (I'm not good with needles, and realized my limitations with this experience). She seemed to be improving a slight bit - but took a turn for the worse an hour ago when I heard her wheezing from the coop. Outside temps are only in the mid 60's, but I brought her into the washroom and put her in a separate cage with food (yogurt & lay crumble), and water with electrolytes in it anyway.

It kills me to hear her like this, and I want to help. I just don't know how. ANY advice would be appreciated.

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Tylan injectable should help. With the injectable it will get into the blood stream faster. I use tylan 50 so I'm not sure the injectable dose for 200. But to inject her you use the keel bone as a guide and you go overfrom the keel bone about two three inches making sure your well under the crop. and not too close to the wing. I dab the area with alcohol which parts the feathers and gives a clean view of the breast muscle and flesh then inject. I think if your able to inject her you will help her greatly. I do hope this helps. If you yourself can't do it perhaps get a friend to do it for you? Best wishes

3. IzzyMom

IzzyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    New Mexico
    From what I understand the dosage for Tylan 200 is .5cc for the first shot, then wait 48 hours and give another shot of .5cc. - But that's where the information ends. Do I continue to dose ever 48 hours till she's better? Or do I go to one shot every 24 hours. I don't know - but my girl sounds pitiful. Even the rooster is having sympathy - he sits by the door of the washroom looking at me like "Where's my lady?"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by