18 month great pyranees. Should I get it?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by birdnutz, Apr 10, 2009.

1. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    There is a free 18 month old pyranees to give away on free cycle. They stated they didn't know how much room (or some thing like that) that she needed. They live in town. I figure her barking is probably what the problem is.
    Now the big question. She has never been around livestock. they say she's great with cats,small dogs and kids. But do you think she could learn to leave my poultry alone and even to guard them?
    I really don't want to get her if I even thought that she would just kill them. But I do need another dog in training. My Rollie is getting pretty old. And do you think she'd be happy with 5 acres to roam on?

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    She is still young and can learn what she can have and what she cant. Time and patience will help alot as they hate being in trouble. They need lots of room to run and I have 4. She should be put in a area where she can see the livestock and notbe able to get to it. She should get used to it before letting her in unsupervised. Is she spayed? if not you might be in for a surprise.

3. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    I think that there are good possibilities but I also think that at 18 months, almost two years old that there is a chance that if she has never been around livestock she may not do well or to be able to be trusted with them, dogs cats and kids are far different from good smelling chickens and other livestock. They are super smart but they also like to do their own thing and can be stubborn. If you are prepared that it may not work out just as you hoped then I would give the doggie a good home, Great Pyrs just love their owners and are so sweet even if they dont guard livestock they are still awesome pets.

4. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Neve mind,they have already found her a home. I guess she was a mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by