18 month Khaki's moved, stopped laying

Larry B

Hatching
May 19, 2017
We recently purchased 2 18-month old Khaki Campbells from a local farmer. They dropped 2 eggs the first day, and haven't laid since. It's been over 3 weeks!

We realize that moving to a new home was probably a shock for them, but they seem very settled and happy.

Any thoughts on why they may have stopped and what we can do to get them started again?

Thanks, -- Larry

Your right moving can get them off for a while so hopefully you'll see eggs soon. If they are free ranging you might want to egg hunt too. Making sure they have the best feed will go along way in helping the girls lay also,but there is also the consideration they may have just finished this round of laying and are also giving their bodies a much needed rest before they begin again. :welcome

Is it usual for them to stop laying in the late spring, when it seems they should be peaking in egg production?

The farm we bought them from said we can exchange them for another 2 Khaki's, but I keep thinking they will lay any day now, and they seem very happy here (I'm happy too -- our first ducks and I love them!).

Yes, they are free ranging now but I don't let them out of their coop until 7 or so in the morning, and they definitely didn't lay any eggs when they were kept in the coop for the first 2 weeks.

Thanks for your help, -- Larry

Ducks have to have breaks in between laying or they would not keep their health. It's not unusual for them to go 2 weeks off before starting again and it very important that egg layers get plenty of calcium in their feed and even offering Oyster shell on the side. When they came home with you they may have just finished up their cycle of laying and with that and the new home could be the cause of them not laying yet. Give them another week before you think about exchanging them for another 2. I am always relieved when my girls take their breaks in between laying Then I know they are getting their bodies rested and built back up to start again.

The plot thickens: One of the ducks mounted the other one today. Do female ducks ever do this, or is it clear that one of mine is a male?

This is getting crazy. Today, yesterday's bottom duck mounted the one that was on top yesterday. Is this normal for (female) ducks?

What your seeing is normal behavior in females so unless you see the actual male part and you can't miss it if your looking you still have 2 females. lol

Haven't seen the male part. ;]
So still think we have 2 females, though no eggs yet.

The current issue is getting them to go back into the coop at night -- they're having so much fun foraging that they don't want to stop, and I'm having to herd them -- sometimes it takes 2 people.

As we say here on the farm, "It's a management issue".

Thankfully ducks herd pretty easy. I herd mine too but you could also try bribery do you have dried meal worms. Put them into some kind of container so when you shake it so it can be heard, then shake and whistle this is one way I get mine in when they are out foraging. Save this special for only at night before bed. Once they learn the signal you should be able to get them up pretty easy by just herding them on inside.

Back
Top Bottom