18 month old Barred rock and not one egg from her!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by motomech, Jul 10, 2011.

1. motomech

motomech New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Hello!, I have 5 chickens all hens..Free range most of the day and get locked up at night. My barred rock Is still the only one that has not laid an egg! 18 months old and nothing, she seems healthy to me and also seems to be at the top of the pecking order.
    She is friendly..let's me pick her up and play with her and when I enter the coop she squats for me and I giver her a little scratch
    I call it (chicken nasty).

Dont think she is egg bound but what else could it be?
    Can a hen really go this long without laying a single egg?

All my other hens have been seen doing the egg song and have been seen in the nest boxes.

2. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Do they free range? Could she be laying in some location other than the nest boxes? You're absolutely positive she's not a rooster?

I've never heard of a hen who doesn't lay at all, but I guess it's possible.

3. motomech

motomech New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    Positive she is not a rooster, she act likes a rooster when a cat or dog approaches..she is very tough!

They do free range but sometimes they don't get let out..This week we have had a lot of wolves and coyote's about and don't want them attacked..And no eggs were found in The coop from her.
    A few months back I kept her in the coop and let the others out for a whole week and no eggs at all.

I wonder if she has taken up the Rooster role since I have no roosters at all?

We have never found eggs in any other place except for the nest boxes, we have been lucky there. I suspect she is not eating her eggs since the other eggs have not been touched.

We do feed them cooked egg and crushed eggshells when our egg supply gets to be to much for us.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Trust me, she's not eggbound. If she'd been eggbound for more than a few days, she'd be dead already. I bet she's laying somewhere.

5. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I have a hen like that! In fact, I'm not sure if she's a hen - it's an EE, and has the body of a hen, but I caught her crowing once. Never mates the hens, crows hardly ever, never lays like the others. Acts all protective, squats for me, same as yours. I'm thinking, 'what role are you going to take? Either lay eggs or do the roo thing!' Sometimes our chickens send us to the funny farm - - - [​IMG]

6. motomech

motomech New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    I think I'm going to put her in jail for a while and see if she lays or not. My neighbor looked at her rearend and said she is not laying (some how he can tell) I'm not sure bout that guy!

7. rubyzoo

rubyzoo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2010
    I have a chicken like yours. Lacy layed some for a week or two but they were thin and very soft: like a wet papper towel . Lacy has never layed eggs again ! Now she lays on everybody eggs! It is so sad !

8. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I have a hen the same way. She's a yr and a half old and I've had her for 7mo.s and no eggs. I still love her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by