18 Month Old Hen Laying at night From the Roost - Broken Eggs!

liparotto

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
I have a year and a 1/2 old barred rock that's been a great layer, but in the last week or so I've found four of her eggs splattered on the poop tray below their roosts. I can only guess she's laying at night and confused? Any tips on what's going on and how to change this behavior. Prior to this she was happily laying in the nesting box or occasionally finding a spot in the yard.

Thanks.

Do you have lights on after dark?

I have found a few like that, but usually from new layers, not those that have had good experience laying in "the right place" LOL

I have had a few over the years that just never seem to "settle" into the right place for themselves, where they are comfortable and happy, always looking for something new or different. Maybe she is just having an urge to lay at night and happens to just let it loose when she feels like it?

You are positive it is this hen?

Yes, I'm positive it's her. I don't add any artificial light. I've only got two of laying age and their eggs are really distinct. I've got two younger ones, but they're only 18 weeks and they roost in a different spot.

She did this when she first started laying, but only a few times. That was a little less than a year ago.

Any suggestions on how to "re-educate" her? Could it just be that her laying cycle is off and once she swings back around to the daytime it'll correct?

I just did the math and looked up Golden Sex Link, and I guess it's possible that one of my pullets is laying these "roost eggs." I thought 18 weeks would be too early, but it seems that it happens.

I'll look into it.

Back
Top Bottom