18% Protein for Growing Ducklings

WhiteTreeOfGondor

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends.” -Gandalf
Apr 26, 2021
Upstate South Carolina
My ducklings are about 1 1/2 weeks old and eating our local feed store's non-gmo chick starter/grower crumbles, which is 18% protein. I was going to keep them on this until I switch to a layer feed because the protein is lower than most starters, but I've read a lot of conflicting things about what protein levels should be once they are around 3 weeks old. is 18% still too high for growing and adolescent ducks?

Chick feed? Have you been feeding brewers yeast along with it for niacin? Layer chicken feed? Once they're older, I feed a flock raiser for their entire lives or a duck pellet. Layer feed doesn't have the right amount of niacin, and will cause ducks to go lame.
18% protein isn't to high. I usually feed 20% for their entire lives.

Chick feed? Have you been feeding brewers yeast along with it for niacin? Layer chicken feed? Once they're older, I feed a flock raiser for their entire lives or a duck pellet. Layer feed doesn't have the right amount of niacin, and will cause ducks to go lame.
18% protein isn't to high. I usually feed 20% for their entire lives.
Yes, I do put this nutritional yeast on their feed and also their water. They seem to love the taste and will nibble it out of my hand :D. I wish I had a good option for a duck-specific or all-flock feed but I don't, unfortunately. They will be sharing feed with the chickens when they are adults, but I plan to keep giving them the nutritional yeast.

Yes, I do put this nutritional yeast on their feed and also their water. They seem to love the taste and will nibble it out of my hand :D. I wish I had a good option for a duck-specific or all-flock feed but I don't, unfortunately. They will be sharing feed with the chickens when they are adults, but I plan to keep giving them the nutritional yeast.
Perfect! That sounds like a good diet. Duck feed would be preferred, but like you said, you don't have access to it, so your substitution sounds like its working well. You didn't mention it in the first post so I had to make sure. ;)
Nice job on Nutritional yeast BTW, I know brewers is more common but nutritional is definitely better.

Perfect! That sounds like a good diet. Duck feed would be preferred, but like you said, you don't have access to it, so your substitution sounds like its working well. You didn't mention it in the first post so I had to make sure. ;)
Nice job on Nutritional yeast BTW, I know brewers is more common but nutritional is definitely better.
I actually started with brewer's yeast, but my Welsh Harlequins were walking with a bit of a a stagger and were laying down more often than the others. So when I ran out I switched to nutritional and gave them a little more until they were sturdier on their feet.
Thanks for the answers!

I actually started with brewer's yeast, but my Welsh Harlequins were walking with a bit of a a stagger and were laying down more often than the others. So when I ran out I switched to nutritional and gave them a little more until they were sturdier on their feet.
Thanks for the answers!
No problem! Nice job watching their mobility, that takes a good eye and experience to know what to do.

My ducklings are about 1 1/2 weeks old and eating our local feed store's non-gmo chick starter/grower crumbles, which is 18% protein. I was going to keep them on this until I switch to a layer feed because the protein is lower than most starters, but I've read a lot of conflicting things about what protein levels should be once they are around 3 weeks old. is 18% still too high for growing and adolescent ducks?
30% of my runners will get drop wing on anything above 16%

When it starts, I go four parts duck food and one part oats.

Usually clears up in about three weeks.

I also add niacin to their water by just dumping one of my capsules into the water.

30% of my runners will get drop wing on anything above 16%

When it starts, I go four parts duck food and one part oats.

Usually clears up in about three weeks.

I also add niacin to their water by just dumping one of my capsules into the water.
Hmm, I guess I'll keep an eye on them. The feed store might have a lower protein feed too if I need it. Thanks!

Hmm, I guess I'll keep an eye on them. The feed store might have a lower protein feed too if I need it. Thanks!
I wouldn't be to concerned. Ducklings do need higher protein to help them grow and become healthy. 18% is complete fine, most commercial duckling feed has 20%. I wouldn't do less unless you see symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom