18 week girls, almost ready to lay??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kbaij, Nov 2, 2008.

1. kbaij

kbaij Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    I have 22 chickens 6 black star, 5 RIR, 5 barred rock, and 6 new girls that came from someone that had a mixed breed rooster and ended up with too many chicks. My black stars and barred rocks have started crouching when we pet their backs, how long before we see our first eggs??? Any info would be great.

2. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

As I saw today, the crouch and the squat are 2 different things. The squat has them spread their wings out at the shoulder, and stick their rear up in the air. They hold pretty still in this position. It's very distinct. Is this what yours is doing?

If it is squatting, I've heard they usually they begin laying in a week or so. Since mine are apparently above the whole laying thing, I am not totally sure. Though perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in?

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Some take much longer than others. I think somewhere in the 22 - 24 week area is typical, though I've got one that's 29 weeks and still hasn't laid an egg. It can be based on season and breed also.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. kbaij

kbaij Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    It's definately a squat, they held their wings out slightly and shuddered slightly and were VERY still.

5. kbaij

kbaij Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    Forgot to type...they hoisted their rears up also!

6. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

They're getting ready.... alrighty

7. kbaij

kbaij Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2008
    YAY!!!! I didn't expect eggs this winter at all, because they are just starting to come of age and the weather here is really cold and nasty already. I was told that they may not lay till spring, I hope we are wrong, I'm excited!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by