18 week old Anconas...is one of these a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TheSitcomGirls, Aug 22, 2011.

1. TheSitcomGirls

TheSitcomGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    At 18 weeks Florence and Wheezy are beginning to look a bit different. I have had them since they were a couple of days old. I ordered females from Meyer. Wheezy was always VERY precocious...jumped out of the brooder and onto my lap when she (he?) was less than a week old. Wheezy also chases the dog around and a couple of the wimpier bigger chickens.

Any thoughts on Wheezy possibly being a he instead of a she? Maybe Florence just hasn't finished growing a bigger comb yet? Wheezy is also a bit broader on the chest than Florence. Other than that they are the same.

I do not want a rooster but I am quite attached to Wheezy. Sigh. I have not heard any crowing. Does anyone know if Ancona roosters are exceptionally loud?

Wheezy: (Little bit blurry...good luck getting Wheezy to hold still!)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Florence:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I need to see the tail and saddle feathers, but it still looks like a girl to me.

3. TheSitcomGirls

Nov 17, 2010
    Thank you, so maybe there is hope! Wheezy's comb just looks so different than Florence's. Here are a few more pictures of Wheezy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    girl [​IMG]

5. TheSitcomGirls

Nov 17, 2010
    [​IMG] That's great....!!! I guess Florence and Wheezy are just growing their combs at different rates.

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I would guess that you should be getting some eggs pretty quickly from Wheezy. And Florence shouldn't be too far behind.

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    100% girl! She'll be giving you eggs VERY soon, if she isn't already! [​IMG]

8. TheSitcomGirls

Nov 17, 2010
    I hope so! I will check under the blackberry bushes where Wheezy likes to hang out. The sex-linked pullet "Extra" who is the same age as Wheezy laid her first egg yesterday. Luckily, it was in the nest box!

I'm glad I won't have to change Wheezy's name. DH already decided that any rooster we mistakenly end up with is to be named "Spock".

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I don't think you'll be getting eggs just yet, might be a few weeks. I have anconas and They have huge floppy combs. The 2 with the flopped combs are laying, but the one that has a small comb like yours hasn't started yet. My rooster's comb was that big when he was only 6 weeks old.
    from feathersite.com
    [​IMG]

My pullets combs are actually a little bigger.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  10. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Quote:And, on the flip side of that, my Ancona hens' combs weren't much larger than your girl's. The comb size will vary from bird to bird and from line to line. The Ancona standard calls for a single comb with 5 distinct points. It should stand upright on the males. On the females, the 1st point must stay upright but the other 4 points may droop to one side. So, an overly large, truly floppy comb is not desired in breeding Anconas. In any case, they are still wonderful egg layers no matter the size of the comb.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by