18 week old Barred Rock hen?!

Ally Robinson

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
So this is Blaire.
She's 18 weeks old, but crowed this morning. I have a RIR rooster that I KNOW is a rooster. Big comb and wattles, hackle and saddle feathers, rooster behavior.
The BR acts like all the other hens, no hackle or saddle feathers, but just has these huge comb and wattles! Help!
20200706_191340.jpg

Aren't BR roos supposed to have more white as well?
20200706_190926.jpg
IMG_20200706_194644_988.jpg

I see these posts occasionally. It's like the birds fall somewhere in between. It's probably because of an hormonal imbalance, or just some crazy genetics.

I'd guess cockeral, and that it will get it's rooster feathers at some point, but I am definitely not positive. It's very interesting. :)

I see these posts occasionally. It's like the birds fall somewhere in between. It's probably because of an hormonal imbalance, or just some crazy genetics.

I'd guess cockeral, and that it will get it's rooster feathers at some point, but I am definitely not positive. It's very interesting. :)
I think it just varies because at one point I had 3 Buff Orpingtons and one had huge combs and wattles, one had basically none, and one fell somewhere in the middle, and then my Barred Rock and Leghorn have HUGE combs, so it definitely varies! All from the same hatchery and all definitely girls. :)

I would think a boy would be much more obvious at this age???

Unless it was a late bloomer but my BR cockerel was very obvious from day one LOL but especially by like 3-4 weeks

I think it just varies because at one point I had 3 Buff Orpingtons and one had huge combs and wattles, one had basically none, and one fell somewhere in the middle, and then my Barred Rock and Leghorn have HUGE combs, so it definitely varies! All from the same hatchery and all definitely girls. :)

I would think a boy would be much more obvious at this age???

Unless it was a late bloomer but my BR cockerel was very obvious from day one LOL but especially by like 3-4 weeks
So you are thinking pullet? I actually could see either way, and will be interested in knowing if it lays or not.

Back
Top Bottom