18 Week Old Buff Orpington: Cockeral or Pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GuppyTJ, Aug 4, 2013.

1. GuppyTJ

GuppyTJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Hi Everyone,

Is this 18 week old Buff Orpington a cockeral or a pullet? He/she mostly hangs out with my other 7 cockerals (all about 18 weeks old), ruffles his/her neck sparing with several of them but also gets along and sometimes hangs out with the 7 pullets. I have 2 other Buff Orpingtons that are far more obviously (I'm very sure 1 is a cockeral, the other a pullet).

The appearance and behavior of this chicken confuses me. I took pics of the body, head, legs and tail feathers as I think these are the physical features that best determine the gender.

Thanks so much,
    Guppy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Those sure look like saddle feathers to me, could be a really really slow maturing roo, orps being contradictory sometimes, usually would expect a lot more red and comb/wattle/roo feathers by this age. Might have to wait for this one to crow or lay an egg.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I see some pointy tail feathers and hackle feathers, so I think that he is a male. He also has a two-tone color pattern, with darker and lighter buff. This is indicative of a male.In terms of comb size, he looks like a maturing female. However, one reason for this might be that he is lower in the pecking order than your other roosters. Low ranking birds will develop slower, and might never become as big as higher ranking birds.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Rooster. He has saddle feathers and the beginning of sickle feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by