18 week old cochin gender questions?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by frannyglass, Nov 9, 2014.

1. frannyglass

frannyglass Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2014
    central PA
    Hello, I never had cochins before this summer and I have some questions. I have one beautiful 22 week old cochin pullet (I believe) from a reputable breeder, and then 5 little 18 week old cochins of dubious origin that I rescued from a bad auction. Two of those I've been sure are roosters and have been working on rehoming, but while I previously assumed two to be pullets, and could not tell with the other, I'm still a little unsure about the pullets because their wattles, while significantly different than the roosters, still are quite a bit bigger than my breeder stock pullet? Could this be a breeding issue?

These are my two little cockerels:
    [​IMG]

These are the two little ones I hope are pullets? Their combs and wattles are significantly smaller, and they themselves are much smaller in size than the two above:
    [​IMG]

Then there is little Plum, who has always been between the two groups in general size and also in comb and wattle size. He also has bronze-y looking feathering on his shoulders and back, but the two I am positive are roosters do not have that so I don't know if that means anything?
    [​IMG]

In comparison, here is my blue cochin, Ruby, that I have from a breeder. Much smaller combs and wattles than any of them, and they turned pink-red much later than the smaller ones.
    [​IMG]

So, my questions are- Is Plum a cockerel? Are the two I have thus far assumed to be pullets also actually little cockerels, or could their larger combs and wattles be explained by less stringent breeding? (And, am I definitely correct in assuming my Ruby is indeed a pullet? I am not so worried about her in this regards, but I would like to be reassured as she is my favorite chicken by far.)

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I agree with your guesses. Ruby and Plum look to be pullets.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  3. urban sunshine

urban sunshine Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2014
    New England
    x2

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the top two are cockerels, and the rest are pullets.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X3 on that.

6. frannyglass

frannyglass Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2014
    central PA
    Thanks for responding! I am relieved that you think they are pullets, I've ended up with 6 cockerels out of my 11 straight runs, so I've been very nervous at the idea that the number was even higher...

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Ruby and Plum look like pullets to me, too.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by