18 week old dels

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GreenGoddess, Aug 21, 2010.

1. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    It's been a while since I was on here due to limited internet access but I need your help! I have two delawares that I hatched out on April 13th.. I was hoping they were both pullets but even at a few weeks old i noticed differences between them.. Let me know what you think...

Here is both of them together.. Their combs and wattles reddened at the same time and they are the same size but their tails are VERY different!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This is Janessa (Should I rename this one Jamie?)
    Head shot
    [​IMG]

Body and tail
    [​IMG][​IMG]

<b>And this is Snowball</b>

Head shot
    [​IMG]

Body and tail
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Ok... So, what do y'all think?

Goddess [​IMG]

Just to add, when I previewed the post before posting it, I did notice the pointed saddle feathers on Janessa that for some reason i can't see when I go outside and look at him.. So, I guess that answers that question.. Janessa is now Jamie and most definitely a roo.. But, is Snowball a girl? I don't see any saddle feathers or hackle feathers or anything indicating she is a he... Am I correct?

2. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    roos....sorry

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    Quote:Sorry I agree both roos.

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I'm thinking roos too. Sure are pretty!

5. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm saying even money Snowball's a girl. Please let us know if she lays a egg. [​IMG]

6. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

I recommend you ask/PM Speckledhen, she is moderator of the "Managing your Flock" thread, and she knows Delawares. We had some hatchery Delawares, here is what they looked like at about 9 months of age:

Pullet:
    [​IMG]mg]

Cockerel:
    [​IMG][/img]

These are hatchery quality so the markings are not great, but notice how huge the comb is on that boy! Have either of yours crowed? I would think they'd be making a racket by now.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Delaware roos have barred tails and more color across the shoulders the ladies have black in their tail but not barred and don't have the smutty marks across the shoulders(usually we did have one but sold her because it's bad coloring)

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Both are male, looks like to me. Janesa has major saddle feathers going on, definite male. The other one isn't as clear, but by that age, even if they have some tail barring, pullets molt that out and get tail black (black feathers edged in white). I don't really see the pointy saddle feathers on Snowball in your picture, but that barred tail is a male trait in Dels. Could be that it's a pullet and just hasn't molted those out yet--I'll hope for that, but the body shape seems male. Late bloomer, maybe. The other one, no question it's male.

kipper, your male looks more like a Columbian Rock than a Delaware--does he have tail barring? I can't tell in the pics. Hatcheries crossed the two breeds and really messed up the Delawares. He's handsome, though.

9. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

I suspect he was crossed, too. He had almost no barring on this tail. He was so aggressive, he ended up becoming dinner. True Delawares are absolutely stunning.

I also wonder about "Snowball", the barring is odd, but he/she does look more henish than Janessa. Any crowing?

10. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Thank you everyone for your input.. Unfortunately, each day that passes, Snowball is showing some saddle feathers so I am almost positive they are both roos.. I was very saddened by this because Snowball has always been my favorite of the two! When I feed them, clean the coop or just go in there to say hello/let them free range, he would jump on my back or arm.. So far, no crowing or egg laying.. Of course, with two older roos (one being very aggressive), they may feel intimidated..

Goddess jumpy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by