18 week old intrapped egg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deniker, Jun 29, 2010.

1. deniker

deniker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2010
    El Paso, Tx
    I have a black star 18 weeks old just started laying 1egg was good today her 2nd eggs was intrapped at her rear at the vent. I was able to get the egg out but now there is 1/2" to 3/4" of her vent out. I have moved her to a clean area no wood chips gave her a warm bath dried her and applied petroleum jelly to the area. She is eating drinking and slowly walking around..

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Bob

2. TipsyDog

TipsyDog Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Aregua, Paraguay
    Use the search feature and look for "protruding vent" or "prolapsed vent". It should give you more information on what to do. I think you could try to gently push it back in, but do a search on here first.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Yes, you need to pop it back in.

Honey or prep H can help with the inflammation.

You'll need to use your little finger or something like a q-tip to make sure you (gently) get it pushed all the way back in.

4. deniker

deniker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2010
    El Paso, Tx
    Well she is still with us, The prep H helped.. It is now at the point to where it is staying in there, was a soft peeling scab that come off in washing her off last night but it was nice and pink no blood at all, she still seems to have trouble pooping yesterday, so I gave her bread with lot of veg. oil on it. today it was better. But I did notice while putting on the prep H. I think I felt an egg on the way I'm hope it will pass without a problem
    Bob

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by