18 week old polishs-sex? Chick pics too

IroquoisEgg

Songster
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Fair Oaks, CA
OKay, I posted these 2 when they were just wee babies, and we pretty much agreed that one was girl other was a boy. But they seem to have switched along the way!!

Here's a chick pic and a couple current ones of "Silly" decided Roo

59074_polishchix_018.jpg

59074_polishoct2010_010.jpg

59074_polishoct2010_012.jpg

59074_polishoct2010_016.jpg

Now, a chick pic and a couple currents of "Becky"

59074_polishchix_014.jpg

59074_polishoct2010_006.jpg

59074_polishoct2010_017.jpg

So, please tell me what ya'll think. Neither has crowed, nor laid an egg. We do have a more dominant roo, so maybe that's why no crowing yet.

Those are all pullets. Cockerels by now, especially hatchery-quality, will develop HUGE waddles and a very shaggy, long-feathered crest.

Don't expect eggs until about 7 months or older.
smile.png

well that news just makes my day!!! Even with her spiky hairdo? It's amazing 2 birds from same store at same time, so I am assuming from same hatch, have such different looks. These both were from western feed here in sacramento area, not sure where they get chicks from but they only have them in the spring. They are the sweetest things though, glad they are pullets. Although, i wouldn't have gotten rid of even if both were cockerels!

2nd one was wet yesterday and this pic was taken this morning. So, yes it always looks like that. Actually was small and poofy when younger and just started getting these straight up feathers poking up everywhere.

Like with any chicken, by this age, you should be seeing long, pointy hackles and saddle feathers on a roo. Everything I'm seeing on the neck and in front of the tail of both of these birds look like broad, blunt hen feathers.

Back
Top Bottom