18 week old pullet with bruised earlobe?

louisagardener

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 11, 2010
Gordonsville, VA
I have 15 Buff Orpington pullets, and 2 Buff Orpington cockerels, all 18 weeks old.

Yesterday, I was hanging out at the coop, and I noticed a greenish/bluish spot on the face of one of the pullets. I picked her up and checked her out, and it looks like her earlobe is a big bruise. Here is a picture:

65273_img_1631.jpg

It is kind of a greenish/bluish color, and it looks kind of swollen also. The other side of her head has a much smaller greenish/bluish spot on the earlobe.

I looked at her again this afternoon, and it looks about the same. She seems to be just as active and healthy as the other pullets, other than this.

Is this a bruise?

Thanks in advance,

Christine

It looks like a bruise, and if it is- it will likely be gone within a week. Being pecked probably did not do this- that is a big bruise for a chicken head---more likely she got her head stuck in something and struggled, ran into something, or had something fall on her. If she is acting fine, I would just watch it.

Thanks so much for the responses. I can't think of what she could have gotten her head stuck in, but I will keep an eye on it. The boys have started to "notice" the girls, which can cause a bit of a ruckus in the coop, so it's possible she got knocked into something.
hmm.png

Still looks the same this morning, so I'm relieved that it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

Back
Top Bottom