18 week old pullet with bruised earlobe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by louisagardener, Aug 11, 2010.

1. louisagardener

louisagardener Hatching

Aug 11, 2010
    Gordonsville, VA
    I have 15 Buff Orpington pullets, and 2 Buff Orpington cockerels, all 18 weeks old.

Yesterday, I was hanging out at the coop, and I noticed a greenish/bluish spot on the face of one of the pullets. I picked her up and checked her out, and it looks like her earlobe is a big bruise. Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

It is kind of a greenish/bluish color, and it looks kind of swollen also. The other side of her head has a much smaller greenish/bluish spot on the earlobe.

I looked at her again this afternoon, and it looks about the same. She seems to be just as active and healthy as the other pullets, other than this.

Is this a bruise?

Thanks in advance,

Christine

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    OUCH! Did she get pecked by another?

3. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Songster

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    It looks like a bruise, and if it is- it will likely be gone within a week. Being pecked probably did not do this- that is a big bruise for a chicken head---more likely she got her head stuck in something and struggled, ran into something, or had something fall on her. If she is acting fine, I would just watch it.

4. louisagardener

louisagardener Hatching

Aug 11, 2010
    Gordonsville, VA
    Thanks so much for the responses. I can't think of what she could have gotten her head stuck in, but I will keep an eye on it. The boys have started to "notice" the girls, which can cause a bit of a ruckus in the coop, so it's possible she got knocked into something. [​IMG]

Still looks the same this morning, so I'm relieved that it doesn't seem to be getting worse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by