18 week old roos not crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Namble, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    I have a White Cochin roo & a Partridge Rock roo that still aren't crowing. Is this normal or should they be crowing at this age?

Thanks,
    Grant

2. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My Buff Orpington roo was almost 20 weeks old before he even tried to crow.. One morning I decided to 'crow' after I opened the door to the coop! He flew out into the run, threw his head back, chest out and tried to crow!! "Tried" is the key word-here! He sounded pitiful, he lost his balance and stumbled around like he was drunk... For about two weeks---almost at 22 weeks old he did his crow---at the squirrel that was trying to get into the run.. Now, at 26weeks old he has a beautiful crow but he only does it in the morning and at the squirrels that try to get into the run!!

I think crowing is like egg laying---each bird/breed is different and it will happen!!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Cochins take FOREVER to start to crow it seems like. My LF cochin was over six months before he crowed. Not sure about Rocks...never had them. Crowing in front of them sure does help though LOL I did that too and mine started crowing.

4. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Hey dude, no worries....you;ll be [​IMG] soon enough when they do start their serenade at all times of the day (and sometimes at night)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by