1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

18 weeks old and now this

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by informative, Nov 14, 2013.

1. informative

informative Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2013
    Just my Red Star has done what I assume is going broody. The Australorps are fine and only One of the Langshans also went semi-broody just for 2 days during a cold spell. The Red Star has been staying in the nest box for four days straight. I make sure the roost area has water and food so she isn't required to leave "the house" after two days I peeked in the side door and she is apparently fine and poke her head out of the nest box with that crooked head look like YES? MAY I HELP YOU? ARE YOU LOST? and then pulls her head back in the nest box.

I am guessing if I peek in there I may find her first eggs? I do hear some odd crowing from inside the nest boxes - sounds a little strange - especially knowing she has been in there a while - maybe she is egg bound or something?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Have you seen her leave the nest box at all? She has never laid an egg? If by Red Star you mean a Red Sex Link like from McMurray hatchery, they very seldom go broody and ime it would be very very unusual for an 18 week old to be broody, especially if she has never laid an egg. Young pullets do sometimes spend a lot of time in the nest boxes sitting and nesting or going from one to another and fussing before they start laying eggs, but 4 days straight is extreme. I would take her out and give her a close examination, check her abdomen and her vent, see how she moves around etc.

3. informative

informative Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2013
    Must have just been the cold weather. On the very end of the 4th day she finally emerged briefly and still remained reclusive for the 5th day but now seems out and about with the rest again. Still no eggs. It's really odd.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by