18 weeks old yesterday!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Don Jr, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Don Jr

Don Jr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumrall,ms
    Surely my red sex links will start to lay soon. They are 18 weeks old now. Should i go ahead and start feeding them laying mesh?

2. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Hi my flock is also 18 weeks old.I just switched them to layer 3 days ago Im so hoping they will lay me an egg SOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    soon,,very soon,mine started at 19 weeks,I didn,t give them layer untill they started laying,check their combs and wattles,if they are turning or have turned red,it won,t be long [​IMG]

4. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Mine is 19 weeks (I think [​IMG]) But she hasn't started hopefully in the next few weeks though!! Good luck!

5. chickloving

chickloving Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    My red sex linked are 18 weeks old this weekend as well. Some have very red combs and wattles. Should be laying soon! I have mine on layer because I have one Harco who started laying at 16 weeks. Our layer ration says to start feeding at 18 weeks, I believe, but I know many do not start feeding layer until they get their first egg.

6. Don Jr

Don Jr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumrall,ms
    I have heard that i should wait.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You can safely feed them layer pellets or mash now, if you like. Most feeds say to begin at that age and sexlinks usually lay quite early, so I bet eggs are coming soon. You can also wait till you see the first egg, your choice.

8. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    my red sex links started at 20 weeks and they lay little pullet eggs everyday . [​IMG] they will be laying for you any day .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by