18th Day on Poultry help needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Habibs Hens, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    im getting geared up to pop my eggs in the incubator will either be friday or tuesday dependant on post

on day 18 you are supposed to stop turniing and remove the turner or transfer to a hachery dependant on setup which i understand well

i have a brinsea mini advance EX

now this part for me gets confusing the hatching humidity for all ytpes i supposed to be 65%

what i wanted to ask is do i set that 65% on day 18 or on day 21 when i notice pippping

which is it im not sure

any one to explain would be great and a better chance of hatch for me

cheers

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    Hi. I hatched for the first time 5 days ago, I have a Brinsea 20 octo. I think the reason you are supposed to stop turning the eggs on day 18 is so the chicks can get into proper position for hatching and yes, increase the humidity to 65% on the same day. There are lots of good threads on this site if you have the time to do searches. Good luck with your hatch, the experience of watching the chicks hatch was amazing.

3. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    Oregon
    Also if you watch the threads on this site you may find some other folks who are setting eggs the same day or close enough that you can trade information. I was fortunate to have several hatch buddies for my first time around, here is our thread:
    http://BackYard Chickens › BYC Foru...ting & Hatching Eggs › Set 3/9/12 HATCH ALONG!

and there is a great hatch calendar here:
    http://BackYard Chickens › BYC Foru...› Incubating & Hatching Eggs › Hatch Calendar

Best wishes for an awesome hatch!

4. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    Thanks guys for your advice

i just got my Orpington Eggs this morning [an hour ago]

just getting them primmed to room temo and then will start it going

thanks for links i will join that thread and get loads of help

:)

5. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    Good Luck on your orpington eggs!!!! Right now I have lavender orpington's in my incubator and have 1 that has pipped! They are due to hatch today!!!!

[​IMG]

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    If you had eggs shipped, do a quick search on hatching shipped eggs before you pop them in the incubator. Most people have better luck with shipped eggs if they let them set at room temperature for 12-24 hours before placing them in the incubator and not turning them the first few days of incubation. This is because the jostling of shipping is often very hard on the air cells, even if the eggs are very well packed, and letting them settle first allows the air cells some time to settle and start to heal. Good luck! If my first hatch with my eggs laid in my own backyard go well, maybe I'll get brave and try hatching shipped eggs next.

7. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    i been reading up loads and i agree very mixed info on settling and setting times

some say a few hours and some say 12-24 hours

i have candled all 6 and have to agree i cant seem to see a good clear air sack so i will leave to settle more and hopefully by then it will get dark out and so i can turn off lights and get a better candling

due to easter holidays i was going to have them privatly delivered but by the time i emailed my supplier they had already been put into the post other wise they where gonna be driven over to me

i got the same supplier gonna drive over some more pullets for me in a few days too

got white and amber stars comming in soon

will make a lovely addition to my already pullet

just a little afraid of the pecking order though really hate to see my chickens fight and it frightens my kids a little

:)

8. Habibs Hens

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop

WOW thats well cool

i wanted buff orpingtons originally but was told by my supplier that i could get a mix of cukkoo, buff or lavender so very excited to see what i get

and would be well chuffed if i got a few boys hatch out too

i think cocks are so gracefull and really set the garden off nicly when they rumage about

9. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    Yeah, I am excited. I have a pair of 9 month old Lavender's right now. The cockeral is so beautiful!!!!!!! I am new to orpington's. Have wanted them for so long. I am actually picking up some buff's on 4/22. chicks from a hatchery here. so excited!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by