19 chicks left on my doorstep! Roosting pic added, page 4

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
The other day when my (commercial chicken farmer) neighbor stopped by to buy eggs he admired my two week old chicks in their brooder on the screened front porch.
He told me at that time that he was getting ready to cull in the commercial houses any chicks that weren't growing to the standard for cornish X broilers. A few days younger than mine, but slightly larger.
He offered 25 I think. I agreed to take five! After I was out of earshot he told my DH that he should just "pinch the head off" of any of the chicks I didn't want.

Okay, so I hadn't heard back from the guy; thought he forgot about it. Just now I took the dog out the back door. He ran around the house and started barking. When I went to see what he was barking about I found two containers full of chicks!! :
ep.gif
Nineteen chicks in all!

Here's my current set-up. My original chicks were in their wading pool brooder, surrounded by a draft guard:

4810_p4090017.jpg

My OCs (original chicks) were jumping in and out of the wading pool, so we removed the pool the other night, added more shavings and now they have the draft guard as their brooder. They still jump in and out, but are confined on the porch and it's certainly warm enough.

Then I find these new chicks. Poor babies bellies are already burned from laying on the soiled and hot shavings of the commercial houses.
hit.gif

They are so sweet! Even more docile the the OCs. We put them in the wading pool from the OCs, but will move them to another larger wading pool with higher sides later on today. They'll still be confined on the screened porch even if they jump out of the pool. We have two very large dog kennels (think german shepherds) that we could confine them to; but it's very hot here. My DH says he doesn't care about a mess on the porch; it can be pressure washed later on.

Please tell me what to do about these cornish X babies! I won't kill a healthy chick that simply had the misfortune to grow too slow to meet Tyson's standards.

I posted pics of the broiler chicks here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=364872

Last edited:
No, the plan is to raise them for as long as they live. They'll eventually be free ranged like my big birds. Back in the day, my DH's mom used culls from the commercial houses as her laying flock. Taken off the high powered feed (they call it "hot feed" around here) and with good care they would live for a few years. Of course any of them that turn out to be roosters will have to be culled.
hmm.png

It's a chance for them to have a life that would have otherwise ended this morning when he culled.

It’s really hard to keep broilers alive after 4 months some strains are impossible they are bread for meat not longevity eggs ect

Get them on frerange asap ... Like two or three weeks... Thye will have a much better chacne of making it that way... Personally I am against keeping broilers past there butcher time but I also respect your choice to do so... I just worry very much that they will have a harder time being kept past their time.. Good luck with them ....

Last edited:
Quote:
I think you should find room and spoil them all!
big_smile.png
Poor little guys. Can you post some pictures of them? I'd be interested in seeing what they're raising out there.

I figure a few good months is better than no life at all. I respect anyones choice not to feel the same way. My DH is willing to cull whenever I need him to; all I have to do is ask. I won't let any animal suffer if I can help it.
Tipsy, I'll post pics asap. I'm letting them chill for awhile and I have to go out to the shop and brainstorm about a better watering system for them.

Back
Top Bottom