1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

19 day 2 silkies wiggling

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by faith87, Sep 22, 2016.

1. faith87

faith87 Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    So I was anxious yesterday not knowing if my silkies chicken were alive or not well this morning I noticed 2 silkies wiggling and piping awwww I'm exited..
    Just don't know if I should of moved them ugh I got to exited I think I flipped the egg God willing I didn't move it from his hatching point since it was probably already positioned. I hope nothing happens to them. Won't move them till they hatch.... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. faith87

faith87 Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    How long after they wiggle do they hatch??

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They can wiggle and peep for several days before hatch, but if they are pipped then they should be out in about 24 hours (sometimes much sooner). Just make sure not to touch them or open the incubator.

4. faith87

faith87 Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    Well I did touch them.. what happens to them did I kill it if i flipped it got to exited [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  5. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    After you flipped it - can you still see the pip spot, where the chick broke through?

You don't want to open the bator after they pip because you lose humidity and the membrane inside the shell will literally shrink-wrap around the chick and then they're stuck like chuck. It happens really quick... And, yes, your chicks were already positioned for hatch. I'm too new at this to know what the consequences of moving will be....

6. faith87

faith87 Just Hatched

Sep 5, 2016
    Ohhh no I keep telling my self not to move them and The first thing I do is move them. God willing there fine don't want to open it and look at I'll just wait till they hatch.

7. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY

You can relax. If they are externally pipped, generally, they will zip between the time of pip to 24 hours, some will even exceed that. I usually do an assist after 24 hours, or at least start an assist. Not everyone believes in assisting. Moving them isn't going to hurt them, just make sure that your humidity is up.

I am a hands on hatcher, what that means is I'm constantly meddling. I open my bator frequently during hatch. If I have a pipper that has gotten rolled over, I roll it back up so the pip is up. I remove shells once a chick has hatched and I pull my chicks to the brooder once they are up and active in the bator. There are many philosophies to hatching, and many do it differently with the same success rate. I have NEVER had a chick shrink wrap after pipping. I do not believe that shrink wrapping- true shrink wrapping happens in a matter of seconds. Exposed membranes can dry out and stick to a chick hindering it's ability to progress I think many people don't know what a truely shrink wrapped chick looks like. A normal inner membrane looks "shrink wrapped" around a chick, when in fact, the inner membrane does envelope the chick naturally. If the chick can move, it's probably not shrink wrapped.

I actually continue to candle my eggs through lockdown/hatch to see which are internally pipped when...Like I said, I'm a hands on hatcher. Many people are strictly hands off after lockdown, and that's fine too, but I think it's sad to see people scared to death to open the bator, or experience their hatch because of the "hands off philosophy". If your humidity is up, and you need to open the bator or reposition an egg for whatever reason, you shouldn't be afraid to do so.

Good luck to you and your chicks.

8. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    [​IMG]AmyLynn, every time you type something, I learn something! I'm relieved to hear this stuff, cause now I can meddle too [​IMG]

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    There are hatchers that will totally disagree with me. And it's a long taught thing that you don't open your incubator or you run the chance of shrink wrapping. (And I'm not saying it CAN'T happen, I just think it's bloated info.) I really think that it's kept growing because many times there's no easy answer as to why a chick makes it to hatch and doesn't, and we need an answer and if you opened that bator, it's got to be the reason. I was talking to a hatcher a few days ago that pm'd me upset because she had a pipper that had gone past 24 hours that she felt she needed to help. But she and her boyfriend had read so much that said don't open that bator, that they decided to wait and the chick died. Now, if she had opened that bator at any point, she would have undoubtedly been told that's what happened-she opened the bator and shrink wrapped it or dried it in. I honestly believe, with my whole being, that it's actually more of a rarity than a norm. Especially with how I hatch. I'm not kidding. A hands off hatcher would faint if they saw me during hatch. There's hands off hatchers, some of "high" standard on here that can't stand me. Many can't accept that there are different ways to hatch, that no one way is the "right" way and if you don't submit to their thinking you are in the wrong. I can disagree with someone but still respect their right to do it their way and to give their opinion and experiences.

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick Premium Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens! You have already gotten some great advice, so I will just say hello and wish you the best of luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by