19 days and I have a pip...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by comptonsgonecountry, Sep 25, 2011.

1. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    While checking on temp and the water basin, I happened to hear chirping and took a closer look at the eggs. Lo and behold, there was a pip in one and two others are wiggling around in their eggs. I have heard that a pip before 21 days is not good. Is this true?

This is my first hatch so I have no idea on what to really expect.

2. happyhour4pm

happyhour4pm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2011
    citrus county Florida
    I am also in the same boat. Today is day 19, they went into lockdown yesterday. I have kept good temps and humidity through out. Lucky I guess as I am a newbie using a used hova bator with a turner. I filled the 2nd water tray to get the humidity up and it wants to stay around 70.
    Anyway the smallest of the eggs was the first on to have a pip about 24 after lockdown. I looked a bit later and no change still just a small pip. About an hour after checking The whole house hears a baby bird chirping loudly!!. We all run out to the other room ( including 4 dogs) to see whats up. Well the littlest one was out of the shell crawling across the bottom.....
    What did you read about a pip at day 19 is not good.[​IMG]..... Please share what you read.
    I was hoping it was all going great. I will keep you posted. The little thing is STILL chirping out there I had better go look.
    Good luck, Amy

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    On day 19 you should be in lockdown. Be careful not to open the bator.

4. happyhour4pm

Aug 14, 2011
    citrus county Florida
    I just went to see how he was doing and what he is still fusing about. He has all the other eggs all disrupted and rolled about.
    However he is still dragging the shell around, it is attached with some clear kinda bloody stuff. I do not know correct terms but from what I have read I would think he has not absorbed all the yoke????????????? I would think he would slow down and rest.[​IMG]

5. comptonsgonecountry

Apr 12, 2011
    Quote:I have been reading mixed stories of hatches at 19 days. Some make it and some don't. My neighbor hatches chicks through out the year and she said not to worry. She will have early and late hatchlings at times and sometimes it turns out okay and sometimes not. But she said as long as it's chirping and progressing than do not worry about it.

I just checked on it and it's close to breaking out! We are still hearing chirps so that's another good sign [​IMG]

Hearing your story makes me feel so much better. Your little one sounds like it's doing amazing! Congrats on your first hatchling [​IMG] Please let me know how the rest of your hatch goes.

6. happyhour4pm

Aug 14, 2011
    citrus county Florida
    I unfortunately have to get up at 5am for work.................. I feel like a little kid and santa clause is coming tonight. I hope I can sleep?
    Last check on the STILL very loud baby was good He has lost his shell and is bowling with the other eggs in there. I hoe they can take it??
    I will see whats up at 5am. Unless I get up in the middle of the night and peek:jumpy
    Good nite and good luck, Amy

7. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    What kind of eggs are you hatching? Sometimes bantam eggs will hatch early, or if your temps have been running too high they will hatch early. If it is because of the temps you can end up with other abnormalities as well. Good luck and hope both your hatches are great!

8. comptonsgonecountry

Apr 12, 2011
    They are EE eggs from my friends farm. We collected six eggs out of a nest that her chickens had laid in one of her horse trailers. I brought them home and put them in the incubator right away.

Do you count the day you put the eggs in the incubator? My temps have gone up some, but not past 101.

I'll have to be patient and hope for the best.

9. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    If you put the eggs in the 'bator in the morning then that counts as the first day, otherwise if you put the eggs in in the evening the next day is day 1.

10. happyhour4pm

Aug 14, 2011
    citrus county Florida
    good morning, I still just have the one. He ia quiet now and dry. I have another one that has pipped but the rest are quiet.....And so we go on to day 20.
    Most of my eggs are red sex link mixes, All are full size.
    Amy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by