19 Gauge hardware cloth strong enough?

Huskerchickens

Chirping
8 Years
May 24, 2011
So I had made a post a few days ago asking if people thought basic poultry netting was strong enough to hold up to foxes and raccoons. Everyone did a good job of putting the fear in me, so I just got back from the hardware store with some 1/2" mesh 19 gauge hardware cloth. Now my next question is if people think the 19 gauge is thick enough? I was hoping to fine something in the 16 gauge range, but they didn't have any at the store and I didn't see anything with some quick online shopping.

I'm going to put this right over the top of my existing poultry netting and add a 1' skirt around the edges. So hopefully the combination of the two meshes will both strengthen and prevent reach in, and the skirt should prevent digging.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice people can provide.

Guy at local feed store said
old.gif
"19 is not strong enough against raccoon...." Of course he IS selling the stronger stuff! I'm starting to think I need something like a federal penitentiary: some razor wire around a double set of concrete walls

Remember to attach the skirting wire to the vertical fencing so the scoundrels can't squeeze in between! Some people have used zip tie strips, but I used heavy gauge wire so it would last longer. I really don't want to have to do it twice!

I have chicken wire but I also have an electric fence. If anything touches it, it won't be back to test it again.

Well, I think it depends on the wire openings. With 1/2" by 1/2" inch openings, I don't think the raccoon could really get its teeth into the wire much to chew it (certainly not any back teeth). If the wire is good quality and has good welds (the don't all fit this description...I bought some online that came with some of the welds already breaking), I think 19 gauge wire should work ok. That's what I have on my runs. However, I did use the 16 gauge to cover the vents and windows of the coop, reasoning that this was where the chickens would be at night when predator danger is at its highest (and I could afford to pay more for the wire since I was covering a relatively small area with it).

My entire run is 19 ga and have not had a break in. The coop has been up for two years and I'm in prime raccoon country, not to mention many other critters wanting a chicken dinner.

Quote:
It's fun watching a coon light out of the yard after just a touch of electric fence, ain't it?
gig.gif

Oh and Huskerchickens, 19 should be fine. If they get thru that, go electric

Last edited:
Hi All,
Check the mesh screen used by plaster and tile installers. It has diamond shaped openings of different sizes, the stuff is sharp so it will deter predators which paw the wire and if laid on the ground any predators which might try to dig under the cage or run.

Back
Top Bottom