1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

19 Gauge hardware cloth strong enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Huskerchickens, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Huskerchickens

Huskerchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    So I had made a post a few days ago asking if people thought basic poultry netting was strong enough to hold up to foxes and raccoons. Everyone did a good job of putting the fear in me, so I just got back from the hardware store with some 1/2" mesh 19 gauge hardware cloth. Now my next question is if people think the 19 gauge is thick enough? I was hoping to fine something in the 16 gauge range, but they didn't have any at the store and I didn't see anything with some quick online shopping.

I'm going to put this right over the top of my existing poultry netting and add a 1' skirt around the edges. So hopefully the combination of the two meshes will both strengthen and prevent reach in, and the skirt should prevent digging.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice people can provide.

2. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Guy at local feed store said [​IMG] "19 is not strong enough against raccoon...." Of course he IS selling the stronger stuff! I'm starting to think I need something like a federal penitentiary: some razor wire around a double set of concrete walls

3. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    Remember to attach the skirting wire to the vertical fencing so the scoundrels can't squeeze in between! Some people have used zip tie strips, but I used heavy gauge wire so it would last longer. I really don't want to have to do it twice!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have chicken wire but I also have an electric fence. If anything touches it, it won't be back to test it again.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Well, I think it depends on the wire openings. With 1/2" by 1/2" inch openings, I don't think the raccoon could really get its teeth into the wire much to chew it (certainly not any back teeth). If the wire is good quality and has good welds (the don't all fit this description...I bought some online that came with some of the welds already breaking), I think 19 gauge wire should work ok. That's what I have on my runs. However, I did use the 16 gauge to cover the vents and windows of the coop, reasoning that this was where the chickens would be at night when predator danger is at its highest (and I could afford to pay more for the wire since I was covering a relatively small area with it).

6. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    My entire run is 19 ga and have not had a break in. The coop has been up for two years and I'm in prime raccoon country, not to mention many other critters wanting a chicken dinner.

7. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    Quote:Nice to hear...I really didn't want to have to take out a loan to purchase materials, and the 19 gage is pricey enough...

8. Tracyree

Tracyree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Goodness, I hope so. Just replaced all my chicken wire with it.

9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:It's fun watching a coon light out of the yard after just a touch of electric fence, ain't it? [​IMG]

Oh and Huskerchickens, 19 should be fine. If they get thru that, go electric

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  10. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Hi All,
    Check the mesh screen used by plaster and tile installers. It has diamond shaped openings of different sizes, the stuff is sharp so it will deter predators which paw the wire and if laid on the ground any predators which might try to dig under the cage or run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by