19% protein med. starter ok for goslings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlisa, Feb 28, 2009.

1. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    will 19% crude protein medicated chick starter be ok for my Pilgrim goslings (in 2 weeks?) I'll have chicks in the brooder box eating that then. Will they be ok together or should I separate them? I've read about people raising chicks and goslings together, but don't know if it was med or unmed starter feed.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  2. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    20% the best I have used. I don't think 1% less would be that much different.

Julie

3. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Julie, did yours have Amprolium in it too? (medicated?) I don't want to accidentally OD my goslings.

4. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Mine is not medicated I get Dumor brand from Tractor Supply. Medicated is not really good for ducks and geese. you can use it in small quanities in an emergency.
    Julie

5. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Were your chicks (chicken babies) ok without the medicated starter feed? I've always given them that feed, but wondered about keeping them together with waterfowl then.

6. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    Mine do fine. they may eat a little more, but they grow just as good and healthy. I also give them hard boiled egg and other little treats as they are growing.

Julie

7. farmertank

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
  8. chickenlisa

Apr 9, 2007
    Thanks! [​IMG]
    I'll go get a bag of flightbird/gamebird starter with no meds in it. I'll either mix it, so the overall meds is way less or just keep them separated until they are past a few weeks old. Not sure if I can mix them together then though without anyone getting hurt. Or I'll go find a TS store and buy the one you use. Our Agway just sells Southern States brand. Thanks again.
    Lisa

9. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:Hi Chickenlisa:

If I'm understanding you correctly, the chicks and goslings will be the same age? My chicks are 4 days older than my geese/ducks. Though they are messy (and tend to get things too wet), the chicks and ducks got a long good in the brooder. The geese (white chinese -x6) got along ok with the chicks for the day they were together, I was just too worried about the chicks because the goslings were 3 to 4 times as big as some of the smaller chicks. I was afraid that during a 'stampede' the goslings would run over or accidentally hurt the chicks so I separated them.

Since then I've moved the chicks to a larger brooder and moved the goslings in with the ducklings. My plan up until a couple of days ago was to still move them all together. I'm not sure now though because the geese and ducklings are growing at what seems to be a much faster rate than the chicks (the chicks are growing and feathering well, but the geese and ducks are REALLY growing fast!).

My plan (as of today!) is to move the geese and ducks into a large room that will be used as a brooder, but have the goslings and duckies separated from the chicks by some chicken wire or mesh that will allow the chickens and waterfowl to interact and see each other till I feel the chicks would be safe.

Goslings and ducklings should not be fed medicated chick starter. I had my chicks vaccinated for Coccidiosis at McMurrays so i would have to worry about medicated feed.

10. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I would not use any medicated feed at all for waterfowl! They eat so much as babies and can easily OD. The can't absorb their vitamins, esp B, and they can have ceisures/floppyniess/ and eventually death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by