19 Pullets 2 Laying...do I need to use golf balls?

Chicky Chick Mama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
western kentucky
We are new to all this, so I'm not sure what to do. We have 19 pullets that are 18 weeks old and 2 BS layers. Since I have 2 laying, if I use plastic eggs or golf balls, will that mess with the layers? Will the pullets just learn from them?

18 weeks is a little early as far as laying goes-- mine are still chicks but I've heard that the starting time is from 20-25 weeks old. As far as golf ballls or fake egs, I'm not sure. Good luck!
smile.png

Few traditional breeds begin laying much sooner than 20 weeks. The exceptions are many, of course. They lay when they are ready, and no golf balls or anything else will speed the process of nature. No different than sexual maturity of any other animal. I think they do indeed "learn" or model off the older hens.

Pullets are 16-18 weeks are very curious about the laying nests and boxes. I don't mind them "checking out" the facilities at that age, as long as they don't sleep in them.

I didn't think they were ready, yet, just planning ahead. Their combs are coming along nicely, but they are still a few weeks away. If I placed golf balls or easter eggs in the nest (in a couple of weeks), would my 2 BS layers become confused? Wouldn't want them to go broody on me!
hmm.png
Or, should my RIR's and BO's learn from the BS's?

I have a couple who'd like to sleep in them at night (a rooster, too!!), but I remove and placed them on the roost. I keep a close eye on them, and a few like to sit in the nests.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think you are over thinking the whole thing. They'll start laying when their bodies are ready to lay and when they do they'll get interested in the nest boxes, especially if they see older hens laying eggs there. Or they may pick a favorite corner, I have a couple that do that.
smile.png

Quote:
"When their bodies are ready"? If they look ready enough to have for dinner, they should be ready to lay, no?
tongue2.gif

Mine are....... Ready..............

OK - We bought 1 day old chicks on March 20th and were blessed to not lose any. We have been eating the males (we have one left we are keeping-FOGHORN LEGHORN) Anyway - 3 days ago at what I calculate as 14 weeks we had a small egg - almost the size of small eggs you buy at the store!! We do not know which one is producing- We have red sex-links, buff orphington's, black austrolorps, production reds and barred plymouth rocks - Only 10 total so just 2 of each I suspect the sex-link. They all are very healthy and look full grown. We had them on Purina chick starter until a few weeks ago and switched them to Purina flock raiser. I thought they should not have as much protein. They get scraps like mangos(they LOVE them), lettuce, squash etc. but not much.
Is this too early to start producing? HuBby built nesting boxes yesterday - so far we have had an egg a day for the past 3 days. Who ever is laying does so late morning or right at noon( I asked and they are not telling!!)
I also noticed over the past 2 days all the hens are getting redder combs, bigger wattles and are getting what I call pink cheeks - reddish spots behind the beak area in the cheek area?
My mom and hubby's mom raised chickens and I remember helping but otherwise we are "newbies" ANY information or help would be appreciated!
Right now we are just like new grandparents!!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Whoa! Eggs at 14 weeks?? If you find out who it is, let me know because I want some of those next year.
wink.png

We are eating our roos, also. Our cranky BO is next to go. However, he did show me who was laying. He's been doing the rooster dance around her for 2 days. LOL

We are feeding Nutrina and Rural King brand layer crumbles. (mostly RK brand) And ours get our left over veggie stuff, too.

We homeschool, too!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom