1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

19 week California white

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CoryRed, Sep 25, 2014.

1. CoryRed

CoryRed Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2014
    dubuque iowa
    Hello eveyone! New to the site and I have a few questions being new to owning chickens. I live in the city and have 2 production reds and a California white. OK so my question is, what does broody mean? All my girls are 18 weeks old. There not squatting but I did hear the egg song once about 4 days ago. [​IMG][/IMG]

2. CoryRed

Sep 8, 2014
    dubuque iowa
    Should I be ready for eggs anytime or expect a fee weeks yet?

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    "broody" refers to a hen who is in the hatching state of mind -- a broody hen's hormones have told her that she wants to lay, accumulate and then set/hatch a clutch of eggs and mother a batch of chicks. Some hens go their entire lives and never become broody (many production breeds have had the broodiness bred out of them in the interest of maximizing their egg production since a hen stops laying while she is hatching eggs/raising chicks) and others are seemingly in a constant state of broodiness.

4. CoryRed

Sep 8, 2014
    dubuque iowa
    Awesome! Thank you! I have just put in there nesting boxes and this morning they were all disturbed and looked to be used. I'm going nuts waiting for eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by