19 week old "Ameraucana" or Egger mixes - Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kprae, Oct 24, 2013.

1. kprae

kprae Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Hi, I have two of these birds - one all black and one with some brown/copper on its neck. The black bird has a red comb and the other bird's comb is still super tiny. Guesses up until now have had the copper neck bird as a pullet but would a pullet have such roo-ish tail feathers? The tail has really started sprouting in the last week or two. I don't think they have spurs, and both sound pretty much like hens (no crowing). The copper neck one is pretty aggressive though. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the all-black bird:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    they're both female.
    The first one looks classic Easter egger. I'm not sure what the second bird is, but I'm not seeing any ameraucana or Easter egger there. Are her earlobes really white?

3. kprae

kprae Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Thanks for the reply! The tail feathers were really throwing me off. Yes, the black one has white earlobes. Is that unusual? Both were sold to me at 3 weeks as Quechua Olmec + Ameraucana mixes from a breeder in San Diego.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Usually, white earlobes indicate a white egg layer. I've had white lobes on leghorn/ee mixes that laid light green eggs, but I honestly see no Ameraucana traits in that bird. The straight comb really cuts down her chances of laying a blue or green egg, also. I'd maybe talk to the seller and see what's up.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Brown/black bird definitely appears to be an Easter Egger pullet--some hens just have odd, rooster-like tail feathers like that; they often grow out of them eventually. I don't see any other rooster signs (pointed saddle/hackle feathers, large comb, tall stance, etc.), so its safe to say you have a hen. Your other bird (the black one) is a hen, too. However, I don't see any Ameraucana/Easter Egger characteristics in her. The likelihood of her laying colored eggs is relatively small, I expect that she'll lay white ones.

6. kprae

kprae Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Hmm. Very interesting. Could the comb come from the Quechua Olmec father? There doesn't seem to be much information (or photos) on the breed so I have no idea. If it is indeed a different breed, any guesses on what it might be?
    Thanks for all the input!

7. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Oak Hill, New York
    On the first one: Should see some saddle feathers if she was a roo. I think she likes an Olmec.
    The other is not a hen you would want to breed from in my opinion.
    Yashar

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  8. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Oak Hill, New York
    [​IMG]
    A Black Quechua Olmec hatched this year from eggs I sent them.

1 person likes this.
  9. kprae

kprae Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    So I think the chicken with the comb is a Minorca, possibly bred with an Olmec? She laid her first egg today and it was pink! So weird!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by