1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

19 week old ducks -- still haven't gotten any eggs. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PDurkin, Jan 26, 2011.

1. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Hey everybody, I have purchased the beginnings of my flock back in late August. Got them as day olds, and its been 19 weeks and I still haven't gotten any eggs from anybody. I have nest boxes available and everything. Feeding them layer feed, and I am getting very frustrated. What do yall suggest? Thanks everybody!

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Ducks normally start much later then 19 weeks, heck, my chickens never start that early!

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Most ducks don't start laying until around 6 months old. Be patient. [​IMG]

4. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    My guys are 21 weeks and they are not laying yet either. I've been told 6-7 months is the usual and 8 months is not uncommon.

5. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    What breed are your ducks? I have runners and they started at 24 weeks.

6. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    I have almost all breeds of ducks, including Indian runners...and Gold Star 300 Hybrid Layers!!!

7. HoglundH

HoglundH Chillin' With My Peeps

Our runners only started at 6 months. Now an egg aday EVERYDAY. Thats a lot of eggs. We get more eggs from the runners then the our laying hens.

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    My Pekin was a very good layer, a HUGE egg every single day. I have found Pekins to be the best duck layers out of Rouens, Muscovies and mixed breeds

9. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    We have Rouens and Mallards. Our Rouen drake keeps trying to mount the girls in the pool and they want absolutely nothing to do with him. Trying to be patient for the eggs. My hens want to lay, but despite all the outwards signs, none form them are either..... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by