19-week old rooster too old for eating?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by imthedude, Dec 21, 2010.

1. imthedude

imthedude Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    I have a 19-week old Delaware rooster that I don't want to keep and can't seem to give away, so I'm thinking of putting him in the freezer. He's pretty good-sized at 19-weeks. Is that too old to eat?

2. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    he's definitely not too old to eat!! enjoy him!

did you post him on the fort collins/northern colorado craigslist? i think i saw your post lol

by the way, are you guys getting snow down in town? i'm up on the north fork of the poudre and we are getting HAMMERED up here. it's good, it's about time though

3. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
  4. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:at that age he should be fine no matter how he's cooked... fried, roasted, pieced and made into paprikash <-- my FAVORITE! [​IMG]

that is a good article for those raising heritage type breeds to have on hand though!

5. imthedude

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    yeah that's my post on CL. i've reposted twice and no luck. i got one inquiry by some guy who could barely speak english and one inquiry from some lady here in town who said she wanted him and then was never heard from again.

and we are getting NO snow in town. never seen it this dry since we've lived here. we even got a little rain yesterday morning that was evap'd prolly 30 minutes after it fell due to the WIND.

thanks for the tips all. this guy might meet his maker before long.

6. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    lol did the guy say he wanted to eat him (are you opposed to someone buying him for the table?)? or did you get the vibe he may be wanting him for something more unsavory (if you get my drift..)

well i'll try and send some of this snow your way.. we've gotten about 9 inches today and there doesn't appear to be an end in sight.

the upside is i finally get to go snowshoeing tomorrow! and the dogs love it

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  7. imthedude

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    not opposed to someone eating him. that's what we're gonna do if no one wants him in the next week or so. the guy was hispanic and could barely speak english, lived in boulder, and wanted to come get the bird last weekend. there's no way someone from boulder wants the bird for eating, so i didn't have a good feel about it and told him he couldn't have him.

8. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    gotcha.. that's what i figured

is he hatchery stock?

9. imthedude

Mar 9, 2010
    CO
    Quote:yeah. he does have a couple of brown feathers on his sides, so he's not perfect by any means.

10. eKo_birdies

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    nice yea i figured.. you probably wouldn't be getting rid of him if he was worth keeping around and breeding

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by