19 weeks old .. buff orpingtons .. help me out .. are they girls or boys ??? or one of each ...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CLAIRE MCNAIR, Jan 6, 2013.

1. CLAIRE MCNAIR

CLAIRE MCNAIR Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2012
    Hampshire
    [​IMG]

2. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    Those are both pretty pullets for sure, though not feathered like my BOs, and the white one isn't Buff. Good news for you ... by 19 weeks any BO rooster would look and act very much like a rooster. [​IMG]

PS, I want what they're having!

3. CLAIRE MCNAIR

Aug 13, 2012
    Hampshire
    thanks for your help .. i hadnt finished posting and it went through .. i have added more pics .. the white one is not a b/o .. not sure what she is ... but had her a while .... would u be able to take a look at the post i have just put on updated and see if u think both r girls still ??

thank u for trying to help me out x

4. CLAIRE MCNAIR

Aug 13, 2012
    Hampshire
    they are 21 weeks..not 19 !! oops .. more piccies added to my latest thread x

5. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    I looked at that other thread a bit ... boy was I confused for a minute! ... and must say if these aren't 100% BOs (which it appears here they are not, but that was clarified in the other thread), then I won't be as much help. I only have experience with a few breeds of rooster, and only from feed-store chicks, which can mature quite differently from breeder stock. But I'll go take a closer look. [​IMG] Regardless, most of the chicks that turned into roosters here were quite obviously roosters well before they were 4 months old ... but only MOST.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Both pullets at 21 weeks. At first glance I was questioning the saddle like fathers on the buff but after reading it's age all other attributes scream pullet. Your other bird could be a tetra tint? Not sure where you purchased these but if at a TSC who carry the Tetra hybrid and are notorious for getting stock in wrong bins then it makes sense.

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that buff orp is 3,000% cockerel you can clearly see his saddles and hackles and the 2 toned coloring on him the white is not a buff orp though it is a white orp if orp at all and is a pullet

i would bet my whole bantam flock of like 35 and my 15 ducks and 1 dove that that buff orp is a cockerel. i'm sorry everyone but it is pretty clear that it is a cockerel

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. CLAIRE MCNAIR

Aug 13, 2012
    Hampshire
    hmm now i am more confused than ever - lol .. i was thinking ones a boy ones a girl ... guess will just have to wait a bit longer for either the crowing or the laying .. like i say they are 21 weeks now .. so shouldnt b too long - fingers crossed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by