19 wk old Chicken with one eye shut, warm head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GoldenPeep, Aug 1, 2013.

1. GoldenPeep

GoldenPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    My 19 week old Buff Brahma has one eye shut, is lethargic, and feels warm around her head. No discharge from the eye, no wheezing, no other obvious symptoms. Also no money for a vet, but I'm not willing to ax her just yet as she is one of only four chickens we own and my son loves her. I'm willing to buy meds if I knew what to buy.

I've isolated her in a box in the basement and hosed out my coop and cleaned and refilled the food and water to try to avoid infecting the other birds.

Advice please!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Does the eye appear swollen shut, as though she can't open it, or is it closed because she's keeping it closed. How is her other eye? Is any part of her face swollen? Chickens generally have warm faces, so warmth isn't a sure sign of something. The lethargy makes me think she is sick, though. If I had to guess, with no other information, I would say that your pullet might be coming down with a respiratory infection. But how are her stools? Are any of them bloody or particularly loose?

For now, until I can further answer your questions, keep her in a warm, clean place. Make sure that she is eating and drinking. If not, you should try to give her water by dripping some on the side of her beak. Maybe (if you have them/can get them) put some vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics in her water to give her a nutrient boost.

3. GoldenPeep

Aug 1, 2013
    She has opened it a few times, so she might just be keeping it close. No crustiness or pus. Her head does not appear swollen. I just moved her to the box an hour or so ago and she does no appear to have pooped yet so I can't say what it looks like. I'll post when she does. I can't tell if she's eating or drinking.

I have some chick electtolytes I have some probiotic tablets meant for humans that I could crush up if it would help. A fellow chicken keeper just dropped off some Duramycin-10 that I might try.

4. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    Hmm... I really don't know what is wrong with her. I would recommend trying the Duramycin-10 for a few days, and then re-evaluating. The dosage is 1/8 teaspoon Duramycin-10 powder per cup of drinking water for 10-14 days. Change the water daily. Do not give vitamins or dairy products during treatment, as they reduce Duramycin's potency. Citric or other organic acids may help increase the potency.

5. GoldenPeep

Aug 1, 2013
    I mixed up the med in her water and marked the level with tape so I could see how much she was drinking. It doesn't look like she's had any, or maybe just a tiny bit, but her eye is open again and she's acting a little perkier! Fingers crossed.

6. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    Try dripping some of the water on the side of her beak. Most of the time, that will cause chickens to swallow the liquid running down their beak. Do not try to force any down her throat, as that often leads to water getting into the lungs. My fingers are also crossed for you. [​IMG]

7. GoldenPeep

Aug 1, 2013
    Six days later, she is about the same. Eye has been open, she's eating and drinking the antibiotics and still quarantined. So the question is now, can I add her back with the other chickens? I have no idea what she has or had, but other than seeming a little depressed, she seems fine. I took her outside to a part of the yard where she could see her 3 "sisters" but not get near them and they obviously all want to be together. What to do?

8. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    I think its all right to put her back with the others. Just make sure that you monitor her carefully for a few days. Make sure she eats and drinks, doesn't get picked on by the others, and shows no new symptoms. I'm not entirely sure what was ever wrong with her (if anything), but whatever it was, it appears to be almost, (if not completely), resolved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by