19 Wk. Pullet Swallowed a Rubber Worm

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gracefulspice, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Gracefulspice

Gracefulspice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I just noticed it hanging half way out of her beak. I went to grab her before she swallowed it but too late. I did manage to catch her 10 min later and completely gone. Should I just keep an eye on her? Should I take her to the vet? So far she acting normal and roosting for the night. Any sugestions or other ideas?

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Her stomach should digest it fine...or it will come out looking very similar to when it went in looking like.[​IMG]

3. Gracefulspice

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    I hope she does pass this thing. Once I relized it was gone I went to find the pack it came out of. There were to kinds of rubber worms in bags that could have fell out. One kind was a basic small rubber worm, but the other which is what I think she got was pretty big, about the size of a night crawler, and kinda sticky. I just hope the stickyness doesn't make it get caught up. Any ideas on how long it takes to exit the other end?

4. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    when you get it back you should have a special STINK BAIT worm and you should be able to go catch a big catfish

5. Gracefulspice

Mar 25, 2007
    Pa
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for the laugh. So far she is still acting normal. I just got home from work so I didn't see any poop yet. But she eating and drinking as always and runing around too. So...so far so good.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I bet she'll be fine. She's tellin the others how big of a worm she got! She's in for a surprise!

7. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    As the old saying goes. . . this too shall pass.

Mark

8. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    She'll be fine, my dog swallowed a rubber glow in the dark frog one time. I found it a week later in our yard.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by