1902 photo of a long tailed chicken ID requested

Windstorm

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 18, 2011
First a touch of explanation I am am not a poultry fancier (other than in the kitchen:) ) but I came here for help in getting an ID on the bird in this photo after seeing something like it (but with a more realistic tail length) from this website when I did a google image search on long tailed chicken

I found a photo of my grandfather taken when he was traveling I think in Japan in 1902 And I want to caption it properly,
also is this photo for real or was it some sort of fake tail attached to get coins from unwary tourists? I can not see how that could keep something that long from being stepped on let alone clean which it seems to be in the photo
thanks for any info you can provide
web.jpg

Thank you all for the help and the ID Though I do still wonder how they keep their tails so long let alone so clean
Before you Provided the ID I was half convinced that is was some sort of tourist scam from back then.

Nope.
smile.png
The tail is kept that way, and grown that way, because the breed doesn't molt much if at all, so the tail keeps growing, and the birds are usually kept in pens, away from the damages of things getting caught in, slicing, or breaking the feathers.

That tail is very real. The secret to getting and keeping the tails so long and clean is in special housing. Feathersite has a page with a nice history of Onagadori along with a picture of a special perch/cage at the bottom of the page.

Back
Top Bottom