1970's Article "Geese Grow on Grass"

PortageGirl

Songster
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
Portage County, Ohio
Found this, thought it was interesting enough to share. (from Mother Earth News March/April 1970) I find older outlooks, whether from the 70's or going all the way back to turn of the century interesting. Lots of things (though not all) hold true, science isn't everything after all!

Geese Grow on Grass

I seem to have a recessive "research" gene I think, and just love looking up things! My 90 year old neighbor loaned me some "Game Bird Breeders, Pheasant Fanciers Aviculturists' Gazette" magazines from 1958-59. Pretty cool!

If Admins think it's better not to post these links, just let me know, I won't 'squawk'.

Oh yes, they are definitely happiest out trimming the grass! My Aunt used to keep them but it was longer ago than that article! I just enjoyed many things about the article including the look of that pic for one thing… kinda cute, the insights about getting started, and even the thoughts about using the ‘schmaltz’ (hmmmm) and the feathers.

My mother and her sisters each had homemade pierzynas (Polish for ‘feather blanket’) they made as young girls for their trousseaus, stripping the goose feathers themselves (or so they claimed) till their fingers bled. Not sure I ever believed them, but all four swore it was true. I had her pierzyna for a long time till the feathers finally broke down so bad they were practically dust… I saved just a few in a very small pillow, what a mess THAT was trying to keep them in while I sewed it up.

I guess I just like to reminisce, I can remember the 70’s quite well, and I like the stories from before that too.

They're like little sheep; but you don't need to deworm, vaccinate and trim their hooves.

We collect the eggs and hatch from March through May. We give them grain in the brooder and until they're about 2 months old. They then go on straight grass until late October when we'll fatten them using some grain at the end.

I also let them into our grain field and they glean whatever the combine missed. I can throw straight grain to them out of the hopper, too, as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom