1972 mile eggs Georgia to Mass **FINAL update**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jthayerkatz, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    OK the story goes that Speckledhen had Delaware and BBS Orp eggs that needed a good home or they were going into the fridge. She was layed up and the weather was no good for her to ship. My wife realy realy realy wanted Del eggs and wanted very much to get some from either speckledhen or seriousbill. I Couldn't let these go to waste so I volunteered to drive from Mass to Georgia to pick them up. the trip took 33.5 hours and 1971.7 miles. they went in the bator on 9-3 so today we candled for the first time and here is the results.
    #'s 1,3,4 from Smokey do not have clear development yet.
    #'s 2,5 from Smokey definate development [​IMG]
    # 3 from Dusty does not have clear development yet.
    #'s 1,2 from Dusty definate development [​IMG]
    #'s 1,2,3 from Skye do not have clear development yet
    #2 from unknown donor does not have clear development yet.
    #'s 1,2 from unkown donor definate development [​IMG]
    #'s 3,7,11,25 Del eggs do not have clear development yet.
    #'s 1,2,4,5,6,8,9,10,12,13,14,15, 16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,26,27
    All show definate development [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    it is still only day five so those #'s could improve but the Del's sure seem to have apreciated the gentle handling avoiding the postman, and hopefully the ORP's will get their stuff together and start growing.
    STAY TUNED [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Not too bad, but I'd definitely reserve judgement till you candle again. I'd had some that just didn't show anything I could really see till about Day 8 or so. Some shells have markings on them that make the inside really difficult to judge.
    I bet you'll have a fabulous hatch with the Delawares. The Orps, as I mentioned to you and Kathy, have sketchy fertility, at least Skye's do. Smoky has been the one providing most of the chicks here and to other folks.

3. jthayerkatz

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    We definatly know that it is still early so those that we are not sure about are labeled NOT YET. I reserve final judgment until day ten and then only if there is just a floating yolk. Kathy just could not wait another minute to know if her Del's were developing. she is very very pleased with what we saw. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

[​IMG]

5. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    I candle my two dozen a few days ago at 8 days and had 7 of 12 BBS Orps veining and 10 of 12 Delawares veining.I am very excited waiting on mine even though I did not travel 2000 miles.That will be something you will always remember with these chicks! Great story!!! [​IMG]

6. jthayerkatz

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    I guess I should clarify that the 1972 miles wasn't traveled by the eggs, they only took the ride home wich was half that distance but I had to travel the whole thing for them to get here. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

James, that's wonderful! I'm sure that the ones of the Orps that didn't develop were probably Skye's. Her fertility is in and out all the time now and Im not sure if it's Suede or if it's her. I'm really into breeding Delawares now and the BBS Orps, since fertility cannot always be counted on, are really just extra bonuses.

8. jthayerkatz

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    We have 24 Delaware eggs that we had shipped from PA that we started about 20 hours after the GA eggs and I thought it would be interesting to see if the shipping had any adverse effect on the eggs versus the ones that were picked up. the packageing was superb and there were no cracked or damaged eggs, they were only coming from PA wich is not nearly as far away as GA from us. I did notice when I was marking them for the bator that the pine shavings that they were packaged in seemd to almost sand the bloom off the shell from the egg vibrating in the carton surrounded by the shavings. I do not know if this will have any affect either but we will see.
    so the PA shipped eggs candled at day 5 showed 17 out of 24 with definate development.
    this is lower than the 23 out of 27 that I picked up in GA but some of the shell were difficult to see through and this number may go up. [​IMG]
    I will candle the GA eggs again tomorrow and post an update then. [​IMG]

9. speckledhen

You are going to be overrun with Delawares! Happy problem, isn't it?

10. Kullas

Kullas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Ellijay Ga.
    Hope ya have a good hatch on the eggs. tomarrow is day 21 on my delawares i got from Speckledhen i drove all the way up to her house (about 20 min ) [​IMG] and they should hatch tomarrow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by