1977 Lewiston, Idaho...Grandpa Thor's "Right-Hand Lady"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tedabug, Nov 29, 2010.

1. tedabug

tedabug Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    My Swedish Grandfather lived in Lewiston, Idaho and was an avid Shriner as well as master gardener. He had a fairly large backyard filled with his gardens and fruit trees. My grandmother canned all the food they could not eat to get them through the long Idaho winters. They lived across the street from the Lewiston airport and were in the city, not country.

One day my grandfather found a chicken in his 6ft. fenced backyard eating at his precious garden. He took the chicken to all the neighbor's trying to fine her home. Nobody claimed her, so he kept her as his own. She did not have a coop or enclosure so to speak. She was allowed to fly away if she wanted, as her wings were never clipped, but she dutifully stayed at my grandfather's side as he tended his gardens and trees. Why leave? She'd found paradise and a friend. Lucky for her, he let her roost at night locked in the very clean and nice garage on the garage door tracks with her butt hanging over his always-clean Volvo! He must have washed it every day. He built her a small box in a tree where she would lay him an egg when she saw fit and they lived like that for years and years.
    He used to catch her for us and let us hold her. She was so good to let us excited kids hold her for long periods of time. This is a picture of me in about 1977 with the little lady. Her name escapes me now, and "Gubbin" is long gone. I was wondering what breed she may be? She was cream with a brown/orange head and feathered feet. I have 4 birds of my own, but think it would kind of fun to find one like grandfathers.
    Do you know?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  2. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    I don't know about the breed, but I loved your story and the pic is cute too. You should take a photo of yourself now holding a chicken and frame the two side by side [​IMG]...

3. tedabug

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    :d

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    That was a heartwarming story! Thanks for sharing. Can't help with the breed though...

5. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Quote:Too cool!!! Thanks for sharing. Chickens really can brings families together. Awwwww.

6. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    LOVE it. Also can't help with breed but hope someone can. [​IMG]

7. grasjm36

grasjm36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Hagerman, ID
    Buff Orpington!

I have 2 that are very 'two tone' like the hen in your pic and then i have 2 that are more solid gold/orange.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    That "two tone" you're seeing there is Wheaten, not Buff. Also, Buff Orpingtons from the earlier days were more true to type, not the typical hatchery production type most people have now. If that were an Orpington, it would be quite fluffy and beefy.

Also, do I see feathered shanks?

9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    With the feathered feet, it has to be a Cochin mix of some sort. The one she's holding in the recent picture is a Buff Orpington. The chicken in the older pic is probably a mix. It almost looks like a buff or red laced something - it's hard to tell what color feet, they look greenish, but that could be dirt on her feet. Can you remember what her eggs looked like? Really big, small, dark brown, light brown?

What a great story! Thanks for sharing it. I got into chickens from my grandfather, too. He is the reason I live in the boonies, now. He died when I was 14, but I like to think he's proud of me.

Shelly

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  10. tedabug

May 2, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I specifically remember her eggs being white! It's the feathered feet that I can't figure out. I think her feet were white under the feathers? I haven't seen one like her. She was unique in many ways I guess.

Keep up the guesses! I'd love to find a match or know what she is.....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by