1984 the book

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Fierlin1182, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Has anyone read this book? What is it actually about?

We're going to be studying it next year for English, and my teacher told me that she picked it purely because she thinks it could start off some hard core debates in the classroom.

... Okay.

Oh, and that it gave her nightmares. [​IMG]

Is it really that bad?

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    No, it's not really that bad. Sometimes people reference it in a moment of sensationalism, though.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

It's creepy, it's about a furture that controls and watchs all, and to control it they control and change history and information coming in. It's pretty good but the ending is very depressing. Here is a link to a summery and if you scroll down reviews: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5470.1984

4. lucky123

lucky123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Cullman,Al
    Many things in the book have become reality. This is why so many refer to it. You can also watch the movie.

5. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    1984 is a great book. When you read it, think about what's going on in society and our government in the present day.

Animal Farm is also a good one...I read them both at an early age, and they really made me think. I've reread them several times since then, since I'm older (early thirties), and find them even more poignant.

Happy reading!!

6. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    I read it in 1983 because I hate being late.

PS. It's sort of Orwellian.

7. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011
    Quote:Thanks for the link, some of those longer reviews give me a pretty good idea.

Okay, I'll take everyone's word for it. I just hope I don't get too creeped out. [​IMG]

8. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Basically, both books (1984 and Animal Farm) are about what happens when a small group becomes too powerful and dictates law based on the principle of "because I said so." They are scary because the author was intending them to be so -- to keep us on our toes and cherish our liberties.

9. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    ray's two cents :

Quote:Thanks for the link, some of those longer reviews give me a pretty good idea.

Okay, I'll take everyone's word for it. I just hope I don't get too creeped out. [​IMG]

It's really only creepy if you're aware of the world around you, and the way the government keeps inching its way into every aspect of our lives.

In that way, it really is scary as crap.​

10. Fierlin1182

Aug 26, 2011

It's really only creepy if you're aware of the world around you, and the way the government keeps inching it's way into every aspect of our lives.

In that way, it really is scary as crap.

[​IMG] Maybe I shouldn't be listening to the news so much then... [​IMG]
    I'll keep all this in mind. Thanks, guys!

I read the last page, because that's what I always do. Does that guy shoot himself?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by