-1f w/o counting windchill glad I spent the $8 on a lamp today

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by outlawfarmer, Jan 24, 2011.

1. outlawfarmer

outlawfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Greeting from ManchVegas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know everyone says that the chickens would be fine w/o heat but better to be safe than sorry.
    So this afternoon I broke down and went to home depot and got a 250w box style, halogen, work light.... for $8
    Added a extension cord to my GFI on the outside of the porch and they are crowded around it as I type.

No flames shooting out so far and its been on for hours.
    Lights says its good in wet areas and has a cage on lens to prevent fried chicken.
    I did take the legs off and screwed it to the wall of the A frame coop to prevent it getting knocked over and heating the pine shavings

check it out
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

2. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    I live in one of the coldest spots in the lower 48. It hasn't been as cold here this year as I've seen, but it's been plenty cold. Had -23 the other night. My birds are fine although I keep chickens with small combs. I also have turkeys, chickens and peafowl. Everyone is handling the cold well. They are all acclimated and really don't have a problem. Today it warmed up a bit and everyone was out running around have a grand old time. The coop is not heated except that I have a base heater for the waterer, but that really doesn't add any heat if at all to the coop. The coop is well ventilated, but there are no drafts. Chickens can handle Alaska, I'm sure they can handle just about any place else. I'd rather not have a fire risk for my birds. As long as I feed and water them well they do great. Lots of scratch this time of year.

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Been cold here as well with lots of snow. My tractor is insulated but not heated and no lights. There is a cookie tin water heater to keep the waterer from freezin. My girls go out every day, even in the negative temps. I just give them extras like leftovers, hot oatmeal, boss and scratch. They dont like being locked up. On top of all this cold and snow, they are molting. They still insist on going outside! Not sure what kind of chickens you have, outlaw, but my cold hardy breeds are certainly just that!

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    be careful those units tend to get over heat and very hot. best to use a proper heat lamp light for outdoor animals. [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Looks like it should be safe to me, since it's contained. Put your hand against the front after it's been on for quite a while to test whether it's too hot or not. But since it's not a heat bulb, it seems to me it'd be fine. Good idea mounting it. My concern is whether it would disturb your chickens at night (if you were running it then), since it's SO bright and white...

6. Turkeyrangler

Turkeyrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    By Lake Superior
    Quote:Didn't read your post as well as I should have last night. I was pretty tired when I posted. Halogen lights are about as hot a light as you can buy. I don't really think there is a safe way to have that in any coop. Just chicken dust collecting on that light could be a major problem. As far as chickens getting any rest..it would be like the sun blasting on you all night. Nice at the beach...bad juju for a coop. Be very careful.

7. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    It was -17 C here today (hmmm...about 1 F?) and we have no heat. The girls are fine. It has been colder, and they've done ok.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  8. Gloria's Gang

Gloria's Gang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    Hello fellow NH resident. I am amazed at how well chickens can handle the cold, but I felt bad when it got to -7f here the other day. They just aren't used to it. I really didn't want to add heat because we do lose power, also it is not good for them to have daylight 24/7. I took the 250 watt red bulb out of my brooder lamp and replaced it with a lower watt red reptile bulb. Not sure of the wattage but it is much lower than 250. Just enough to take the edge off the cold and not turn the coop into a sauna. Also the red light is not as harsh as the bright white light. I have it hooked and zip tide to the ceiling so it is not close to the girls and no chance of it falling. I will only leave it on while the temps are frigid. They do enjoy it and huddle underneath.

9. outlawfarmer

outlawfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    New Hampshire
    The coop is a big a frame (7'x5'x6') with a pen area under. The pop door is a ramp down to the pen area below that stays open 24/7. The pen is animal resistant so far and thats where I put their food and water (on a jug warmer). However as a result of the coop over pen set-up, the cold air can come up the ramp 24/7 too. It the only way I can do it as I often goto work for more than 24 hours at a time. So its pretty cold in there when its below zero.

I put the 250W halogen near the pop door where it is hinged to the coop area. Its kinda like the heat blowers as you walk into a Walmart(Evil Place) this time of year. However, its never a sauna or hot in there. I checked the heat the first couple nights it was on and it never got hot enough to even melt the snow on the exterior of the wood I mounted it to. Since things have warmed up to more normal 20's and 30's here I have set it to come on at dusk for 8 hours per day just because they werent making eggs much at all. It's pretty dark now with snow over most of the coop and they have no desire to go outside. Since the light has been in place and shine about 4pm-midnight, I am starting to get atleast 1 egg per day and they seem to be more active.

Thankd for all the concern, as I have seen a few fires from halogen light but we are doing well so far.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by